The Oakland Museum of California values are fundamental to our institutional culture and guide our work together.
Excellence: We are committed to excellence and working at the highest standards of integrity and professionalism.
Community: We believe everyone should feel welcome and part of our community, both within the Museum and with our visitors and neighbors.
Innovation: We embrace innovation and calculated risk-taking to achieve our mission.
Commitment: Our work at the Museum demonstrates a sense of purpose and a shared accountability for the institution's success.
The Associate Director, Marketing plays a key role in developing the OMCA brand, driving attendance, implementing product and event marketing, generating overall awareness of OMCA, and guiding an integrated marketing and communications strategy. Serving as the main marketing contact with other museum departments and interfacing with the Museum's ad agency and other creative and community partners, the position establishes marketing priorities and timelines and supervises and coaches the marketing team.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The following reflects OMCA's definition of essential functions for this position, but does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned. OMCA may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this position at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons.
- Support the Museum's mission, values, vision, and core commitment to the visitor experience, community engagement, and institutional relevancy for the future;
- Contribute to and support the OMCA strategic plan, annual priorities, and institutional initiatives such as diversity advancement;
- Contribute to a positive organizational culture based on mutual respect, a spirit of collegiality, cooperation, and openness to many perspectives;
- Participate in a culture of ongoing learning, collaboration, innovation, creativity, and community engagement.
POSITION DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Set and manage annual marketing budget and media plan
- Guide work of advertising agency and promotional partners, approving creative and media plans
- Collaborate with the Design department on brand identity, marketing collateral and internal marketing signage
- Develop marketing and communications strategy for exhibitions and institutional campaigns
- Partner with internal stakeholder regarding marketing related events and revenue generation strategies
- Provide leadership and coaching to Marketing staff, setting priorities and managing to goals
- Develop and manage external marketing partnerships to promote museum attendance and awareness
- Direct work of Dynamic Response Team (a cross-functional team focused on weekly performance goals and strategies), and serve on Earned Revenue and Visitor Insight Teams (also cross-functional teams focused on revenue and visitor experience and evaluation) to analyze key data for strategic decision-making
- Manage photography and video projects to support marketing and communications needs
- Utilize internal and external research, evaluation and metrics to maximize the effectiveness of marketing expenditures and priorities
- Ensure essential information is communicated consistently and in timely manner within department, between Centers, and to key partners
- Collaborate with key stakeholders in strategy and execution of revenue and communication goals (i.e. Design, Business Development and Philanthropy)
A level of experience that demonstrates possession of the necessary knowledge and abilities for this position is required as noted:
- Ability to deliver results, facilitate and influence others and problem solve beyond temporary solutions
- Experience in strategic communications and marketing planning to build offerings that deepen visitor engagement, and will have a depth of experience in successfully leading audience enrichment, expansion and revenue generation initiatives
- 5+ years of related experience in experience Marketing & Communications
- 2+ years experience in people management and/or leading teams required
- Experience overseeing and managing website to drive audience engagement and revenue generation
- Experience developing, managing, tracking comprehensive email campaigns and must understand best practices in digital marketing, social media and influencer marketing
- Significant experience with project management techniques, data management and analysis
- Experience in direct to consumer marketing and institutional communications required including driving ticket sales, public relations, brand and digital strategy
- Exceptional communication skills and experience with general public, donor groups, press, external and internal stakeholders
- English language proficiency in both spoken and written form
- MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint); Google Apps
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is frequently exposed to the following:
- Noise, such as groups of people working in enclosed areas
- Typical office environment
- Ability to lift up to 35 pounds
The Oakland Museum of California is dedicated to diversity, inclusion, accessibility and equity. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ability/disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We highly encourage our diverse community to apply for available employment, internship, fellowship and volunteer positions at the Museum, as we aim to ensure our staff reflects the diversity of our visitors and surrounding community.