The Oakland Museum of California strives to provide innovative learning opportunities to students of diverse backgrounds and areas of study that are interested in working with a multidisciplinary museum that puts visitors and community at the center of our work.
The Oakland Museum of California values are fundamental to our institutional culture and guide our work together.
Excellence: We are committed to excellence and working at the highest standards of integrity and professionalism.
Community: We believe everyone should feel welcome and part of our community, both within the Museum and with our visitors and neighbors.
Innovation: We embrace innovation and calculated risk-taking to achieve our mission.
Commitment: Our work at the Museum demonstrates a sense of purpose and a shared accountability for the institution's success.
Position Description: The Curatorial Intern will support the research, development and implementation of in-gallery visitor experiences specifically related to the Natural Sciences gallery.
Learn about the planning and development of museum exhibits, including:
- Team roles and responsibilities
- The phases of the development and design process
- Strategies for meeting the needs of different types of learners and audiences, including ADA guidelines and interpretive approaches for informal learning environments
- Strategies for interpreting art, history and natural science information to museum visitors in creative and engaging ways
- Resources for further research and learning about museum exhibit development
Under the close supervision of the Associate Director of Experience Development, the intern will learn about and gain direct experience in:
- Re-develop one or two Natural Science lab spaces, with new prompts and new interfaces
- Contribute as needed to Natural Sciences gallery and exhibition development and planning
- Undergraduate (minimum two years matriculation) or graduate student with a strong interest and some experience with a natural sciences discipline, such as biology, environmental science, or similar
- Interested in people and how they learn
- Excellent communication skills, experience writing about science a plus
- At least 18 years of age
Work Environment and Physical Requirements:
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is frequently exposed to the following:
- General office environment
- Paid hourly rate
- Free one year annual membership including cafe and store discounts
- Cultural Connections Membership
- American Alliance of Museums Membership
We are happy to work with your educational institution to provide credit for this internship.
The Oakland Museum of California is dedicated to diversity, inclusion, accessibility and equity. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ability/disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We highly encourage our diverse community to apply for available employment, internship, fellowship and volunteer positions at the Museum, as we aim to ensure our staff reflects the diversity of our visitors and surrounding community.