The Oakland Museum of California values are fundamental to our institutional culture and guide our work together.
Excellence: We are committed to excellence and working at the highest standards of integrity and professionalism.
Community: We believe everyone should feel welcome and part of our community, both within the Museum and with our visitors and neighbors.
Innovation: We embrace innovation and calculated risk-taking to achieve our mission.
Commitment: Our work at the Museum demonstrates a sense of purpose and a shared accountability for the institution's success.
The Digital Content Strategist oversees OMCA's integrated digital platforms (website, e-news, social media strategy) to build interest, engagement and attendance at the museum. This position strategizes, plans, project manages, budgets, produces and measures content that supports marketing and audience strategies at the Oakland Museum of California. This position also directs the digital content created by others.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The following reflects OMCA's definition of essential functions for this position, but does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned. OMCA may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this position at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons.
- Support the Museum's mission, values, vision, and core commitment to the visitor experience, community engagement, and institutional relevancy for the future;
- Contribute to and support the OMCA strategic plan, annual priorities, and institutional initiatives such as diversity advancement;
- Contribute to a positive organizational culture based on mutual respect, a spirit of collegiality, cooperation, and openness to many perspectives;
- Participate in a culture of ongoing learning, collaboration, innovation, creativity, and community engagement.
POSITION DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
This position works under the direction of the Director of Marketing & Communications to execute a digital content strategy that is consistent and collaborative with the overall marketing and communications strategy for the museum.
- Develop the integrated digital strategy that includes website, e-news, and social media to support overall marketing objectives and earned revenue initiatives
- Guide cross department content development in digital, providing strategic insight
- Ensure digital content aligns with exhibition marketing promotions and museum campaigns
- Participate in meetings on exhibitions, programming, strategic planning, and external issues
- Identify resources and manage tools to effectively measure and evaluate the reach and effectiveness of the museum's digital communications and strategy
- Develop a total understanding of OMCA target audiences and apply audience research to new media initiatives
- Manage multiple projects simultaneously, communicating with key stakeholders throughout the project lifecycle
- Execute projects to be high quality, timely and cost-effective within budget
- Foster timeline development and monitor progress, ensuring deadlines are met
- Troubleshoot digital and content components to marketing partnerships both internal/external, offering potential solutions and adjusting work plans as necessary
Content Management and Production
- Oversee and produce engaging website content in support of exhibitions, events, and institutional marketing initiatives, writing copy and selecting imagery that communicates the OMCA brand to encourage visitation and further exploration
- Lead the development of the Master Calendar with input from program strategy process and programmers
- Develop content update processes and deadlines for all new content (exhibition and event) on museum website to ensure site changes are accurate, on-time, and communicated to stakeholders
- Act as liaison between membership and marketing strategy
Website & Online Programs Management
- Collaborate with museum staff across Centers to facilitate the development and delivery of Museum content to all online channels (for example, eblast messages to promote education, retail)
- Assign blog articles to collaborators and cultivate freelance contributors to support content development as needed
- Drive traffic to the web site by ensuring content is built and tagged consistently with SEO/SEM techniques and best practices while upholding the editorial standards of the OMCA brand
- Develop landing pages for strategic initiatives and key museum programs
- Crop and manipulate images and digital assets for optimal display, upload speed and resolution requirements
Email Marketing Program & Social Media
- Oversee email marketing program-optimizing for target audiences, including editorial strategy development,project management, and creation of editorial content and design
- Monitor open and click-thru rates, optimizing email campaigns as needed
- Maintain email list management, including management of email list, preference center, and the development of marketing initiatives to increase email database
- Oversee social media strategy to align with overall marketing goals, directing the work of the marketing associate to create content and engage with audiences appropriately
- Lead social media calendar development to ensure alignment with enews and website updates
Online Analytics Monitoring & Reporting
- Monitor, analyze and report monthly, website traffic and search data, and initiate changes to online platforms as needed by applying web analytics to inform online marketing strategy
- Partner with marketing and visitor insights team to yield rich insights into consumer online behavior and key motivational and attitudinal behavior
A level of experience that demonstrates possession of the necessary knowledge and abilities for this position is required as noted:
- Ability to display and encourage visitor and internal customer service, take and share responsibility and treat others with respect
- 3-5 years of related experience required
- Knowledge of digital marketing practices and integrations
- Knowledge of web technologies and platforms (including content management systems); knowledge of Drupal preferred
- Knowledge of web analytics and online marketing strategies
- Superior communication skills, both internal client facing and with external vendors/partners
- B.A. degree in relevant field such as Marketing, Journalism, English, or related field preferred
- Non-profit or art/culture experience preferred
- Strong relationship management, organizational and project management skills
- Knowledge of the types of content appropriate for different marketing channels
- Proficiency in front-end web development skills including HTML, CSS
- Ability to develop HTML email campaigns, manage lists, report results and integrate email platform with multiple online channels
- Proficiency in computer systems, specifically MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Adobe CS (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign)
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is frequently exposed to the following:
- Noise, such as groups of people working in enclosed areas
- Typical office environment
The Oakland Museum of California is dedicated to diversity, inclusion, accessibility and equity. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ability/disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We highly encourage our diverse community to apply for available employment, internship, fellowship and volunteer positions at the Museum, as we aim to ensure our staff reflects the diversity of our visitors and surrounding community.