The Oakland Museum of California strives to provide innovative learning opportunities to students of diverse backgrounds and areas of study that are interested in working with a multidisciplinary museum that puts visitors and community at the center of our work.
The Oakland Museum of California values are fundamental to our institutional culture and guide our work together.
Excellence: We are committed to excellence and working at the highest standards of integrity and professionalism.
Community: We believe everyone should feel welcome and part of our community, both within the Museum and with our visitors and neighbors.
Innovation: We embrace innovation and calculated risk-taking to achieve our mission.
Commitment: Our work at the Museum demonstrates a sense of purpose and a shared accountability for the institution's success.
The Human Resources Intern will partner with the Recruiter, Human Resource Director and hiring managers to complete position questionnaires , and conduct research ensuring compliance with all position requirements. Update all job descriptions to reflect OMCA's standards of equity and access and roll out new job description portal for staff and annual review process. The intern will also partner with the HR team to facilitate onsite training programs and other special projects as needed.
- The intern will learn standard labor and OSHA requirements of job descriptions
- Analysis of position requirements and duties that ensure hiring equity
- How to align job descriptions with compensation structures and evaluation of salary surveys
- How to design and facilitate staff training programs
Under the close supervision of Human Resource Director and Recruiter, the intern will learn about and gain direct experience in:
- Completing in partnership with Hiring Managers, job questionnaires;
- Creating and updating job descriptions, ensuring alignment across the organization;
- Researching labor and OSHA requirements for positions;
- In partnership with Recruiter, creating a process and communication plan for annual job description reviews with staff;
- Research and partner with team to design succession planning process.
- Prior experience or educational courses in Human Resources
- Attention to detail
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Strong command of written english language
- Experience with Google docs and drives
Work Environment and Physical Requirements:
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is frequently exposed to the following:
- Ability to lift up to 35 pounds
- Paid hourly rate
- Free one year annual membership including cafe and store discounts
- Cultural Connections Membership
We are happy to work with your educational institution to provide credit for this internship.
The Oakland Museum of California is dedicated to diversity, inclusion, accessibility and equity. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ability/disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We highly encourage our diverse community to apply for available employment, internship, fellowship and volunteer positions at the Museum, as we aim to ensure our staff reflects the diversity of our visitors and surrounding community.