Balboa Park Cultural Partnership is hiring a full-time, non-exempt Sustainability Manager within the Balboa Park Sustainability Program (BPSP). The Sustainability Manager is responsible for the effective communication and execution of existing BPSP initiatives, including support of the Balboa Park facility director affinity group, Green Team, Sustainability and Energy Management Action Plan, Green Impact Guide, education events and sustainable operations initiatives for BPCP member institutions. The manager is expected to bring skills that will enhance these existing programs and help to expand BPSP into viable new areas of sustainability.
The Balboa Park Cultural Partnership (BPCP) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization founded in 2003 to facilitate collaboration among the many arts, science, and cultural institutions located in San Diego’s historic Balboa Park. Our 29 member institutions vary in size and type and include 16 museums, the San Diego Zoo, several performing arts organizations, cultural centers and gardens. Although the Park’s cultural institutions are our primary audience, many of our programs are open to other relevant organizations and professionals.
Established in 2008, the award-winning Sustainability Program is a collaborative effort between the Balboa Park Cultural Partnership, the City of San Diego and San Diego Gas & Electric® (SDG&E). This collaboration is supported by an alliance of the Partnership’s members, Balboa Park stakeholders and sustainability experts.
The Sustainability Manager will report directly to the Sustainability Director and serve as a positive ambassador for the program, both in-person and virtually, and is responsible for managing the following activities:
- Drive environmental initiatives within BPCP member organizations by providing:
- Strategic and administrative updates to the Sustainability Action Plan
- Project feasibility assessments, audits, and implementation plan assistance including financial analysis of collective and individual projects and topics of transportation, waste, water, energy, purchasing
- Oversee program record keeping including project tracking and certifications
- Assist BPCP members with the development and adoption of action plans
- Coordinate and collaborate with Sustainability Program staff
- Manage direct reports including Coordinator, Assistant and Intern positions
- Contribute to program documents, as needed, including: Strategic Plan, award and grant applications, and monthly invoicing process.
- Participate in best practice sharing, through community and industry groups
- Support community outreach opportunities
- Support and drive marketing strategies and case study development
- Manage education efforts with Balboa Park team members
- Contribute to education and program promotion within Balboa Park
- Manage all activities of the Balboa Park Facility Director affinity group and oversee Coordinator with the Green Team
- Promote the use of the Green Impact Guide through outreach and training
- Update data for the Board of Directors Scorecard
- 3+ years in experience in environmental sustainability and project management
- 2+ years experience managing team staff
- Strong collaborative background and previous work with local government and cultural organizations is preferred
- Competent understanding and experience with a variety of sustainability tools and technologies including building equipment and previous work with facility staff
- Team player — works to ensure team goals are met or exceeded with strong leadership qualities
Position type: Full-time, 40 hours a week, non-exempt. Weekdays (8:00am to 5:00pm) and weekends and evenings as needed. Hourly rate is $19-$21.50/hr depending on experience. Balboa Park Cultural Partnership offers a benefits package that includes medical insurance, dental insurance, life insurance, discounts at select Balboa Park restaurants and shops, and free admission to member museums.
Submit resume and a cover letter addressing how you meet the above qualifications – all in .PDF format – via e-mail to email@example.com by close of business on November 5, 2017. Please put “BPCP Sustainability Manager: [Insert your first initial and last name]” in the subject line. No phone calls please.
This job description is intended as an illustrative guide to the general job responsibilities and is not inclusive of every duty the employee is expected to perform. The Balboa Park Cultural Partnership is an Equal Opportunity Employer.