The Oakland Museum of California strives to provide innovative learning opportunities to students of diverse backgrounds and areas of study that are interested in working with a multidisciplinary museum that puts visitors and community at the center of our work.
The Oakland Museum of California values are fundamental to our institutional culture and guide our work together.
Excellence: We are committed to excellence and working at the highest standards of integrity and professionalism.
Community: We believe everyone should feel welcome and part of our community, both within the Museum and with our visitors and neighbors.
Innovation: We embrace innovation and calculated risk-taking to achieve our mission.
Commitment: Our work at the Museum demonstrates a sense of purpose and a shared accountability for the institution's success.
The MarComm Intern will participate in the planning activities for the Museum's 50th Anniversary, by supporting messaging through OMCA social media channels, assisting with video production and helping to build press materials and lists. In addition to the 50th, this person will assist with general departmental needs pertaining to the Art of Burning Man exhibition.
The MarComm internship provides opportunities for hands-on experience working with a savvy marketing communications team representing the entire institution. The MarComm intern will have first-hand experience working on institutional projects ranging from 50th Anniversary planning to special exhibitions, and public programming promotion. The MarComm intern should walk away with a thorough understanding of how a Museum MarComm team operates.
Under the close supervision of the Marketing Associate, the intern will learn about and gain direct experience in:
- Project management
- Crafting marketing messages
- Social media best practices
- Public relations and media outreach
- Event planning
- Partnership building
- Writing for media and/or consumers
- Copywriting for website and/or updating web pages
- Providing onsite event support
- Customer service
- Working with cross-functional teams
- Time management
- And more!
- Interest in learning about marketing, public relations, and digital media as it pertains to arts and culture
- Familiarity and experience working in communications, marketing, or related field
- Experience managing multiple projects and deadlines
- Experience using Google Drive
- Familiarity with Adobe Suite programs is a plus (including Photoshop)
- Experience with and knowledge of social media platforms
- Ability to write for multiple audiences -- editorial experience is a plus
- Ability to focus on detailed work for several hours at a time
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Willing to take on projects big and small and adapt to a fast-paced environment
- At least 18 years of age
Work Environment and Physical Requirements:
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is frequently exposed to the following:
- General office environment
- Paid hourly rate
- Free one year annual membership including cafe and store discounts
- Cultural Connections Membership
- American Alliance of Museums Membership
- Opportunity to attend outside marketing partner events
We are happy to work with your educational institution to provide credit for this internship. Applicants must apply via the OMCA Career Portal http://museumca.org/internships
The Oakland Museum of California is dedicated to diversity, inclusion, accessibility and equity. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ability/disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We highly encourage our diverse community to apply for available employment, internship, fellowship and volunteer positions at the Museum, as we aim to ensure our staff reflects the diversity of our visitors and surrounding community.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2apply.net/n36dghwzzjs8m2ft