The Oakland Museum of California strives to provide innovative learning opportunities to students of diverse backgrounds and areas of study that are interested in working with a multidisciplinary museum that puts visitors and community at the center of our work.
The Oakland Museum of California values are fundamental to our institutional culture and guide our work together.
Excellence: We are committed to excellence and working at the highest standards of integrity and professionalism.
Community: We believe everyone should feel welcome and part of our community, both within the Museum and with our visitors and neighbors.
Innovation: We embrace innovation and calculated risk-taking to achieve our mission.
Commitment: Our work at the Museum demonstrates a sense of purpose and a shared accountability for the institution's success.
The Media Production and Installation Intern will participate in the ongoing maintenance of media-based exhibits in the museum's galleries. The intern will learn best practices and museum standards for in-gallery media installation. They will participate in troubleshooting and assist with repairs to media-based installations and interactive exhibits as needed. The intern will gain familiarity with: video projectors, multi channel audio installations, video monitors, media players, microscopes, iPads, Mac Mini's, formatting protocols and networked controllers.
The Media Production and Installation internship provides opportunities for hands-on experience working with media installations in a museum setting. The intern will learn best practices for working in museum galleries. The intern will work with an experienced professional to learn about techniques and specific equipment used in museum exhibitions. They will learn how to maintain equipment and how to troubleshoot when problems occur. They will also help organize and maintain the museum's inventory of media equipment.
Under the close supervision of Preparator, Supervisor, the intern will learn about and gain direct experience in:
- Weekly maintenance of gallery media equipment
- Assisting with the upkeep of the museum's media equipment inventory
- Performing troubleshooting to identify and solve problems when they occur
- Assist with the installation or de-installation of scheduled media rotations
- Interest in learning about media equipment and techniques used in museums
- Familiarity and experience working with video projectors, media controllers, audio installations
- Experience with troubleshooting
- Ability to focus on detailed work for several hours at a time
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- At least 18 years of age
Work Environment and Physical Requirements:
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is frequently exposed to the following:
- Ability to lift up to 25 pounds
- Paid hourly rate
- Free one year annual membership including cafe and store discounts
- Cultural Connections Membership
- American Alliance of Museums Membership
We are happy to work with your educational institution to provide credit for this internship.
The Oakland Museum of California is dedicated to diversity, inclusion, accessibility and equity. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ability/disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We highly encourage our diverse community to apply for available employment, internship, fellowship and volunteer positions at the Museum, as we aim to ensure our staff reflects the diversity of our visitors and surrounding community.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2apply.net/4tjds89d8xkdst7y