The Oakland Museum of California strives to provide innovative learning opportunities to students of diverse backgrounds and areas of study that are interested in working with a multidisciplinary museum that puts visitors and community at the center of our work.
The Oakland Museum of California values are fundamental to our institutional culture and guide our work together.
Excellence: We are committed to excellence and working at the highest standards of integrity and professionalism.
Community: We believe everyone should feel welcome and part of our community, both within the Museum and with our visitors and neighbors.
Innovation: We embrace innovation and calculated risk-taking to achieve our mission.
Commitment: Our work at the Museum demonstrates a sense of purpose and a shared accountability for the institution's success.
The Public Engagement Program Intern will participate in and support program administrative research, development, implementation, and reporting of the cross-disciplinary intergenerational program platforms. Public Engagement programs range from intimate hands-on family art activities on and offsite, to large-scale festivals, ranging from scholastic topics to informal education participatory activities. Skill building opportunities in production and logistics planning, artist liaison responsibilities, marketing/communication materials, in addition to collaboration, cultural and community engagement practices for intergenerational participation. Special projects will include the July Park Jam for the RESPECT: Hip Hop Style & Culture special exhibition, preparation for the Annual Days of the Dead cultural community celebration, and Friday Nights @ OMCA.
Through this internship we will provide learning opportunities and hands-on experience in the areas of multi-disciplinary event/program management for diverse audiences. The intern will gain additional knowledge related to program development, implementation, documentation, visitor engagement, artist liaison responsibilities, in addition to the opportunity to work with community collaborators, education, operations, and curatorial museum staff.
Under the close supervision of the Public Engagement Program Manager, the intern will learn about and gain direct experience in:
- Program Development: research and development;
- Program planning, tracking and logistics;
- Contracting and managing artist, program performers and participants;
- Collaboration, cultural and community engagement practices;
- Post program documentation and evaluation.
- Interest in public, community, and cultural engagement program and events
- Knowledge of or interest regarding informal education practices, diverse learning styles, and participatory program engagement practices
- Attention to detail and strong organization skills
- Familiarity with PC and Macintosh platforms, skills in MS Office and Google Suite
- Knowledge of customer service practices and principles
- Passion for social justice and equitable practices
- Experience in event planning and project management
Work Environment and Physical Requirements:
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is frequently exposed to the following:
- Ability to lift up to 25 pounds
- Paid hourly rate
- Free one year annual membership including cafe and store discounts
- Cultural Connections Membership
We are happy to work with your educational institution to provide credit for this internship.
The Oakland Museum of California is dedicated to diversity, inclusion, accessibility and equity. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ability/disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We highly encourage our diverse community to apply for available employment, internship, fellowship and volunteer positions at the Museum, as we aim to ensure our staff reflects the diversity of our visitors and surrounding community.