The Oakland Museum of California strives to provide innovative learning opportunities to students of diverse backgrounds and areas of study who are interested in working with a multidisciplinary museum that puts visitors and community at the center of our work.
The Oakland Museum of California values are fundamental to our institutional culture and guide our work together.
Excellence: We are committed to excellence and working at the highest standards of integrity and professionalism.
Community: We believe everyone should feel welcome and part of our community, both within the Museum and with our visitors and neighbors.
Innovation: We embrace innovation and calculated risk-taking to achieve our mission.
Commitment: Our work at the Museum demonstrates a sense of purpose and a shared accountability for the institution's success.
The Registration Intern will support the registration department with cataloging, accessioning, loans, collections documentation, imaging, as well as object handling and data reconciliation. The intern will gain familiarity with CollectionSpace (OMCA's collections management system). The position will work closely with OMCA registrars to learn best practices and museum standards in collections management and registration.
Educational Objective: Through this internship we will provide learning opportunities and hands-on experience in the areas of museum artifact handling, storage practice, and collections preservation. The intern will gain additional knowledge related to registration and other collections activities and have the opportunity to work with curatorial and conservation staff.
Under the direct supervision of registration staff, interns will learn about and gain direct experience with the following:
- Creating and editing digital catalog records
- Tracking and updating object locations
- Object handling and rehousing collection objects in archival housing
- Organizing registration documentation
- Photographing and imaging collections objects
- Possible enrichment opportunities with exhibitions and outgoing loans
- Interest in Registration and Collections field in a Museum
- Current student or recent graduate in an accredited Museum Studies four year or graduate studies program
- Basic experience with museum object handling
- Attention to detail and strong organization skills
- Familiarity with PC & Macintosh platforms, MS Office and Google Suite
- Collections experience in a museum setting strongly preferred
- Familiarity with collections management software preferred
- At least 18 years of age
Work Environment and Physical Requirements:
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is frequently exposed to the following:
- Ability to lift up to 35 pounds
- Standing or sitting for extended periods of time
- Paid hourly rate
- Free one year annual membership including cafe and store discounts
- Cultural Connections Membership
- American Alliance of Museums Membership
The Oakland Museum of California is dedicated to diversity, inclusion, accessibility and equity. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ability/disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We highly encourage our diverse community to apply for available employment, internship, fellowship and volunteer positions at the Museum, as we aim to ensure our staff reflects the diversity of our visitors and surrounding community.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2apply.net/56tzmzpd7zzzfxdf