Oakland Museum of California
Req No 2017-1195
Category Retail Operations (Museum Store)
Type Regular Part-Time
Closing Date ..
Targeted Job Start Date 3/1/2017
The Oakland Museum of California values are fundamental to our institutional culture and guide our work together.
Excellence: We are committed to excellence and working at the highest standards of integrity and professionalism.
Community: We believe everyone should feel welcome and part of our community, both within the Museum and with our visitors and neighbors.
Innovation: We embrace innovation and calculated risk-taking to achieve our mission.
Commitment: Our work at the Museum demonstrates a sense of purpose and a shared accountability for the institution's success.
The Retail Sales Associate welcomes patrons, assists them in selecting merchandise, completes sales transactions with accuracy and efficiency; marks, prepares and displays merchandise; ensures that all available merchandise is on display. The regular work schedule will be: Friday 4:00pm to 10:15pm and Sunday 10:30am to 6:30pm. Additional hours as needed on Wednesday, Thursday or Saturday.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The following reflects OMCA's definition of essential functions for this position, but does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned. OMCA may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this position at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons.
- Support the Museum's mission, values, vision, and core commitment to the visitor experience, community engagement, and institutional relevancy for the future
- Contribute to and support the OMCA strategic plan, annual priorities, and institutional initiatives such as diversity advancement
- Contribute to a positive organizational culture based on mutual respect, a spirit of collegiality, cooperation, and openness to many perspectives
- Participate in a culture of ongoing learning, collaboration, innovation, creativity, and community engagement
POSITION DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Greet customers and assist them in selecting merchandise
- Complete sales transactions efficiently and accurately
- Restock merchandise organize displayed items
- Mark new merchandise (put on price tags)
- Assist in conducting annual inventory
- Tidy merchandise; rearrange displays, clean work areas
- Restock and assemble boxes and other supplies
- Count money at beginning and end of shift as assigned, ensure accurate registry logs
- Answer telephone and provide information or redirect calls
- Prepare merchandise for shipping
- Assist Lead Retail Associates and Retail Operations Manager as directed
- Participate in organizational promotions including membership sales
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
A combination of experience and education that demonstrates possession of the necessary knowledge and abilities for this position is required as noted:
- High School diploma, GED or equivalent required
- 1-3 years of related experience required
- English, fluent in both spoken and written form
- Basic (high school level) math
- MS Office (Word, Excel)
- A secondary language, such as Spanish or Chinese
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is frequently exposed to the following:
- Noise, such as groups of people working in enclosed areas;
- Typical office environment
- Typical retail environment
- Ability to lift up to 25 pounds
The Oakland Museum of California is a multicultural organization, committed to diversity and practicing equal opportunity employment in recruitment and hiring. Qualified candidates of diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply for open positions.