Maricopa County Historical Society
dba Desert Caballeros Western Museum
Visitor Services Manager
Exempt (Y/N): N (40 hours per week)
Supervisor: Business & HR Manager
Supervises: Visitor Services Associates
I. Function of Position
The Visitor Services Manager is responsible for ensuring all guests have the educational and entertaining experience DCWM values while helping meet revenue goals through ticket, membership, and retail sales. The VSM is the primary contact for Visitor Services Associates and Museum volunteers and works alongside them during hours the Museum is open to the public. Provides training, direction, coordination, and scheduling for all front-line functions of the Museum including Admissions, Museum stores, Gallery Guides and Cowgirl Up!. Directly supervises Visitor Services Associates. Actively recruits volunteers, matches them with appropriate functions in the Museum and evaluates performance regularly. Works closely with the Retail Operations Manager and Curator of Education to ensure consistent content and procedures across the Museum experience.
Position Function %
• 35% Visitor Services Staff Training and Management
• 25% Volunteer Training and Management
• 20% Volunteer Recruitment
• 20% Scheduling of all required front line positions
II. Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
1. Understand educational connections across all functions of the Museum and regularly work in all Visitor Services positions including galleries, the Museum stores, and Admission desks.
2. Point person for all visitor services activity within the Museum. Ensures positions are scheduled and staffed adequately to support the various areas of operations at all times.
3. Responsible for volunteer recruitment, interviewing, evaluation, record maintenance, and background checks as needed. Coordinates records with Business & HR Manager.
4. Maintains Volgistics database as master volunteer record.
5. Include Retail Operations Manager and Curator of Education in Visitor Services training and ongoing evaluation of guest experience.
6. Prepare agenda and lead monthly Volunteer meetings. Work with Curator of Education to schedule appropriate staff for presentations as needed. Produce notes from the meetings for distribution to staff.
7. Regularly make presentations and attend events off site to encourage interest in volunteer functions at the Museum.
8. Work with the Marketing and Membership Manager to produce content for the monthly volunteer newsletter and social media.
9. Work with the Facilities and Security Manager to ensure staff and volunteers follow all required policies and procedures.
10. Understand and support the mission and goals of the museum through all activities.
III. Position Requirements
High school diploma or GED required; college degree in business, education, history or art highly desirable.
B. Work Experience
1. Previous experience with leadership of high volume front line functions with the public.
2. Recruitment, training, and supervision of paid and volunteer staff.
3. Educational customer service expertise in a mixed-use setting.
4. Creating and updating scheduling for multiple positions in a public setting.
C. Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
1. Exemplary interpersonal and communication skills for extensive interaction with staff, volunteers, and a diverse audience.
2. Self-directed, motivated, and highly organized.
3. Proficient with full Microsoft Office Suite, POS systems and volunteer scheduling software. Experience with Volgistics highly desirable.
4. Knowledge of sales, cash handling and Point of Sale procedures.
D. Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
1. Valid driver’s license.
2. Pass a criminal background check.
E. Working Conditions
Office and museum gallery environment; non-standard hours, generally within 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. with extended hours possible. Two weekend shifts per month required. Must be able to lift 25 pounds, walk and stand for four hours consecutively and have the ability to bend, stoop and reach. The noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate.