The Mission of MIM: The Musical Instrument Museum (MIM) enriches our world by collecting, preserving, and making accessible an astonishing variety of musical instruments and performance videos from every country in the world. MIM offers guests a welcoming and fun experience, incomparable interactive technology, dynamic programming, and exceptional musical performances. MIM fosters appreciation of the world’s diverse cultures by showing how we innovate, adapt, and learn from each other to create music—the language of the soul.
Museum Store Mission Statement: The Museum Store enhances the guest experience and promotes the Museum’s mission by offering merchandise that educates, inspires, and entertains. Profits support MIM and its programs.
Position Summary: MIM is seeking an experienced retail professional to help with the growth of its retail operation. The position reports to the head of retail operations and assists in all aspects of managing the day-to-day operations of the Museum Store.
Recognizing that the museum store is an extension of the guest experience, the associate manager will lead the team in maintaining the store as an exciting and profitable shopping destination by ensuring best practices established for museum retail and by providing a high level of customer service.
- Maintaining policies and standards for operational and customer service issues, including but not limited to sales techniques, transactions, inventory management, sales reports, and opening/closing procedures.
- Overseeing the maintenance of the operating equipment used to process sales, including POS/inventory management systems and gift card processors, and serving as a liaison with the CP SQL support provider and the MIM technology team.
- Providing each guest with outstanding service by maintaining a positive work environment for the team, maintaining high customer service standards, and ensuring that the store is restocked and cleaned daily.
- Communicating product information, discounts, and promotions to ensure that team members have the most up-to-date knowledge.
- Developing the store schedule and supervising the daily workflow of the team, as well as reviewing and submitting payroll through ADP.
- Accurately reconciling daily cash receipt reports and deposits and maintaining timely communication with the MIM finance team.
- Overseeing annual inventory preparation and counts.
- Assisting with displays and merchandising and ensuring that the team maintains store displays as directed by the head of retail operations.
- Assisting with planning store events and working in the store during peak hours and special events to maximize sales and ensure a high level of customer service.
- Interacting with various museum departments, including finance, technology, education, theater, and collections.
- Assisting and supporting the head of retail operations with budgeting, purchasing, product development, and long and short-term planning.
- Performing related duties and responsibilities as required.
- Bachelor’s degree and knowledge of music and musical instruments preferred.
- Three years of museum retail experience, including at least two years of supervisory experience, or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience preferred.
- Proficiency with Outlook, Excel, Word and Google Sheets are essential.
- Strong experience with POS/inventory management systems required. Knowledge of Counterpoint SQL is a plus.
- Superlative customer service skills are required to assist with maintaining policies for the store and ongoing training. The ability to process transactions efficiently and resolve customer service issues graciously are essential.
- Strong oral and written communication skills and the ability to represent MIM to guests and team members in a professional, knowledgeable, and courteous manner. Strong interpersonal and leadership skills are essential.
- Proven analytical and organizational skills with the ability to multi-task and prioritize projects effectively.
- The ability to accurately compute rates and percentages and prepare sales information in report format is required.
- The ability to work flexible hours—including weekends, holidays, and some evenings.
- The ability to lift and move merchandise up to 40 lbs. is required.
For more information visit our website at: MIM.org
Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter and resume via the link: