The Campaign Director is responsible for leading all aspects of the California Science Center Foundation's $350 million EndeavourLA Campaign in support of the Samuel Oschin Air and Space Center major expansion project and ongoing programs and operations. Currently, the progress to goal stands at $280 million.
The ideal candidate is a non-profit development professional with experience in capital campaign management, front-line major gifts fundraising, and supervising a team. The Campaign Director should be adept at building and managing strong relationships with staff and volunteers, members, and donors. Additionally, they should thrive in a fast-paced, deadline oriented environment and demonstrate a commitment to our mission and values. The Campaign Director will be a key player during a transformational period of growth as the California Science Center advances the third phase of its three-phase, three-decade Master Plan.
Salary Range and Requirements
$90,000 - $100,000. Full-time, exempt position reporting to the Chief Advancement Officer. Currently, Campaign Development staff are expected to work onsite a minimum of three days a week with the flexibility to work remotely two days a week but this policy is subject to change. As part of our commitment to health and safety, all Foundation employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Work with leadership to develop and lead a campaign strategy to achieve the $350 million EndeavourLA goal and fulfill the vision for the Samuel Oschin Air and Space Center.
- Manage the 5-person campaign team including two Associate Campaign Directors, Senior Campaign Writer and Campaign Associate, and oversee the work of consultants.
- Execute a campaign plan including: principal and major gifts; planned giving; community gifts; campaign communications; donor recognition and stewardship.
- Establish campaign goals and priorities, monitor activities, evaluate progress and adjust as necessary to ensure project milestones.
- Direct staff and consultants in the implementation of all systems, strategies and management plans to effectively coordinate responsibilities for the campaign.
- Manage campaign volunteers and provide primary staff support to the Campaign Committee comprised of Trustees and other key leaders.
- Further engage the Board of Trustees in fundraising and the identification of donor prospects; coach volunteer leaders and staff in the pursuit of major gifts.
- Actively manage a major gift portfolio including individual, foundation and corporate donors and prospects; serve as a major gift solicitor.
- Expand the pool of prospective donors; develop and manage a targeted pipeline of qualified prospects through research and cultivation efforts.
- Develop and implement donor engagement strategies designed to cultivate and secure new gifts, as well as increase support from existing donors.
- Oversee development and implementation of planned giving program strategy.
- With Communications and Marketing teams, oversee development and implementation of strategic communications and marketing plan to promote EndeavourLA.
- Manage the campaign budget.
- Special projects, assignments and other duties as required.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and a professional demeanor
- Excellent public speaking and presentation skills
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
- Minimum of eight years development experience, with a record of successful career growth
- Experience in successful capital campaigns preferred
- Experience with museums, informal learning institutions or community-based organizations a plus
- Knowledge of Los Angeles area philanthropic communities desired
- Successful track record of soliciting and closing major gifts - ability to identify, qualify and engage prospective donors from outside the Foundation’s existing donor base
- Strong project management skills
- Self-starter with demonstrated ability to strategize, set and meet goals both independently and by supervising and motivating a team
- Ability to manage departmental and project budgets and interpret financial data
- Persuasive writing and editing skills; able to produce relevant writing samples upon request
- Proficiency or ability to become quickly proficient in Microsoft Office suite and OneDrive applications, Zoom or other videoconferencing platforms, donor databases or constituent relationship management systems; experience with Tessitura a plus
- Strong organization and analytical skills with keen attention to detail and ability to establish and maintain high standards of information management
- Experience staffing volunteer committees or working with boards preferred
- Willingness to staff or attend frequent evening/weekend events and activities