The Park City Museum in Park City, Utah has an immediate opening for a full-time Collections and Education Assistant. The successful candidate will work with the Curatorial and Education departments to assist staff with a wide range of education and collections initiatives to help advance the Museum’s mission. The Assistant will work under the supervision of the Curator of Collections & Exhibits and the Director of Education.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Curatorial Department (3 days a week and/or as needed)
- Assist Curator with cataloging a significant backlog of donations and unprocessed material, including a wide variety of objects, photos and archives.
- Assist Curator with full-scale collections inventory and associated database clean-up and problem-solving.
- Assist with digitization and preservation of a large collection of acetate and nitrate negatives.
- Assist with other collections management projects, such as rehousing objects, creating object mounts and boxes, collections moves, storage reorganization, database management, etc.
- Help with traveling exhibit installations/de-installations and other exhibit tasks as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education Department (2 days a week and/or as needed)
- Assist Director of Education with adult tours of Museum, school tours, Main Street walking tours, Glenwood Cemetery tours, and Park Avenue walking tours.
- Support existing Museum programming and develop and promote two family programs per year.
- Manage and maintain the Education Collection of hands-on learning resources.
- Assist Director of Education with the Glenwood Cemetery events, and any other educational events being planned.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Degree in Museum Studies, Public History or a related field.
- Experience with cataloguing and collections work in a museum setting.
- Excellent object-handling skills and proficiency with museum databases.
- Experience developing museum education/programming and events for the public.
- Experience working with children preferred.
- Must be extremely well-organized and detail-oriented with expert time-management skills.
- Self-motivated and able to work independently, problem-solve and take initiative.
- Must possess excellent teamwork and interpersonal skills. Must work effectively with diverse groups of people.
- Excellent communication skills, including writing, editing and speaking.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and work assignments while staying focused and cognizant of deadlines.
- A high level of professionalism and excellent customer service.
- Solid understanding of professional museum practices and procedures.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office required, knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite and Past Perfect a plus.
This is a full-time position, typically Monday through Friday with occasional Saturdays or Sundays. Benefits include paid vacation days, personal and sick leave and holidays, as well as health insurance. Salary: $50,000 – 55,000 per year.
Deadline is Sunday, April 9th, 2023. Applications must be received by April 9th to be considered for the position.
Please send resume, cover letter and three references to:
Diane Knispel, Director of Education at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Collections and Education Assistant” in the subject line. No phone calls please.
About the Park City Museum:
The Park City Museum is a history museum in Park City, Utah that serves a variety of visitors, including the local community and tourists. The Museum’s collection of objects, photographs and archives is remarkably diverse in type and size and offers valuable insights into the history of Park City. Programs offered by the Museum include school and youth groups, tours, lectures, family activities and special events. About 130,000 visitors enter our front doors annually.