Directs and Manages the operations, exhibitions, educational programming, research and collections development and care of the Draper Natural History Museum (DNHM) in accordance with the Buffalo Bill Center of the West and DNHM missions.
- Supervises staff, interns and volunteers.
- Works cooperatively and creatively with all Divisions to support BBCW mission and priorities.
- Ensures compliance with Center policies and procedures.
- Education – Collaborates with the Interpretative Education Department to develop and implement educational programming related to natural history.
- Exhibits – Initiates and collaboratively creates content, develops and implements design, implementation and evaluation of all DNHM temporary and permanent exhibitions and ancillary programs.
- Collections – Oversees compliance with BBCW collections policies and procedures as they relate to natural history collections. Curates the DMNH natural history collection.
- Research - Conducts research in the central area of expertise. Presents that research through exhibitions, publications and programming. Supervises research conducted on DNHM collections and databases.
- Integrated Research – Works collaboratively with other outside researchers/institutions to include their research into the Draper program goals.
- Represents the Center in all activities related to natural science.
- Collaboratively promotes the leadership role of the BBCW in natural history in and around the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem.
- Develops and expands collaborative outreach opportunities for the Cody and Greater Yellowstone communities.
- Directs day-to-day operations of the of the DNHM.
- Plans and develops DNHM interpretation including exhibitions and educational programming.
- Prepares and manages annual budget and reviews on a regular basis departmental expenses and budget reports.
- Develops plans for the DMNH in support of the Center’s strategic plan
- Leads staff activities within the Draper and evaluates staff performance and direction.
- As a supervisor at the BBCW, ensures the safety and quality of guest experience for the museum.
- Ensures compliances of the DMNH policies with current standards of professional ethics and conduct.
- Ensures that the DNHM exhibition galleries, offices, lab, Equipment and storage facilities are well maintained and provide a clean and safe environment for volunteers, visitors and staff.
- Ethical conduct
- Communication Proficiency
- Leadership/mentorship acumen
Supervises DNHM Curatorial staff, temporary staff, interns and volunteers.
Required Education and Experience:
- Demonstrated Leadership and Management Skills.
- Minimum of Masters’ degree in one or more areas of natural history, education or environmental science.
- Demonstrated organizational and interpersonal skills.
- At least 3 to 5 years’ experience in museum environment.
- Familiarity with the public interpretation of scientific and environmental information.
- Possesses good general knowledge of natural history/ecology in the American West and with preferred knowledge of the Greater Yellowstone region.
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate and lead large, complex, and highly successful projects.
- Excellent research, writing skills and verbal communication and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work well in a team environment and interact successfully with colleagues, visitors, volunteers, donors, and vendors.
- EEO Statement:
- Buffalo Bill Center of the West provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, age, disability, gender identity, results of genetic testing, or service in the military. Equal employment opportunity applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leave of absence, compensation, and training.
- Other Duties:
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.