Tempe History Museum in Tempe, Arizona seeks an Exhibits Curator to provide curatorial and technical services to support permanent and temporary exhibits on-site and at off-site locations. Duties include exhibit planning and development, graphic design of panels, labels, signage and visual elements, creating and installing exhibit elements; repair, maintain and upgrade exisiting displays, interactives and infrastructure. The position is a full-time City of Tempe employee with full benefits and a pay range of $61,173 - $81,972. Minimum qualifications include 2 years employment in an area related to the core functions of the position and a Bachelor's degree or equivalent with major course work in arts, design, history or related fields. Applications will be reviewed on September 16, 2022.
CURATOR / SENIOR CURATOR- EXHIBITS
Applications will be reviewed on September 16, 2022.
This position is part of a flexible classification. Qualified candidates may be hired at either level based on their experience, education and training as determined by the hiring authority.
The City of Tempe offers a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Pay Increases occur in July
- 12 Paid Holidays, 1 Personal Day, 8 hours Winter Holiday Leave
- Vacation Accrual; starts at 9.33 hours/month
- Sick Leave Accrual; 8 hours/month
- Medical, Dental and Vision Benefits
- Wellness Program Discount on health premiums
- Medical Reimbursement Program; $53/month
- Tuition Reimbursement; $6,000/year
- Participation in the Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS) Defined benefit plan with mandatory employer and employee contributions currently at 12.17% which includes a Long-Term Disability benefit
- Supplemental Retirement Plans through Nationwide; 457, 401K, and Employer contribution
- Position is eligible for 16 hours of additional Paid Leave
To view the employee benefit summary, please visit:
Department / Division:
City of Tempe Community Services / Museum Exhibits
8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday thru Friday
Job Number: RC#901644
Duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Plan, design, organize and coordinate various changing and permanent exhibits, displays, and other special presentations in the Tempe History Museum and at other municipal buildings and satellite locations
- Conceive, model, and design exhibition experiences with consideration of layout, graphic design, storyline, interactivity, and/or flow of exhibits;
- Oversee and participate in planning and implementation of programs delivered in conjunction with exhibitions.
- Schedule changing exhibits; design and fabricate exhibits; develop cost projections for exhibit fabrication and installation; maintain exhibit fabrication workshop; manage associated contractors
- Oversee the inspection, repair and maintenance of exhibits to ensure standards of quality and timeliness are met
- Design and fabricate, print or create a variety of printed materials including exhibit graphic and text panels, labels, brochures and signs in close collaboration with marketing and communications staff.
- Collaborate with other Museum staff to plan and deliver on exhibit learning goals, interpretation, interactive education components and related programs for permanent and changing exhibits, including fabrication of hands-on materials for educational programs.
- Create and install exhibits in historic houses and other off-site locations.
- Research, write and edit exhibit text for changing exhibits, as part of the curatorial team.
- Work with other institutions and/or community organizations in developing and coordinating collaborative exhibits;
- Provide installation and de-installation assistance to the Visual Arts curator at Tempe Center for the Arts, if required
Curator: Requires two (2) years of museum or curatorial experience in an area related to the core functions of the position.
Sr. Curator: Requires four (4) years of museum or curatorial experience in an area related to the core functions of the position that includes at least two (2) years of experience as a City of Tempe Curator+.
Candidates must have the minimum amount of work experience. Years of experience are based upon a full-time work schedule (2,080 hours per year). The sum of an applicant’s full-time and/or part-time qualifying work experience must meet or exceed the stated minimum qualification. Education will not substitute for the required work experience; however, related unpaid and/or volunteer work experience may be used as qualifying work experience.
Curator: Requires the equivalent to a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in fine arts, exhibition design, history, anthropology or degree related to the core functions of this position.
Sr. Curator: Requires the equivalent to a master’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in fine arts, exhibition design, history, anthropology or degree related to the core functions of this position.
The term “equivalent” means that directly related work experience exceeding the required work experience will substitute in equal time increments for college-level education, for example: one year of additional directly related work experience will substitute for one year of college education (30 credit hours).
Applicants considered for this job classification must pass the following:
- Criminal history background investigation
For a PDF of the complete job description go to:
Curator: $61,173 to $81,972 Annually
Sr. Curator: $67,523 to $90,481 Annually
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: The City of Tempe is an Equal Opportunity / Reasonable Accommodation employer. The City does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, familial status, age, disability, and United States military veteran status. Pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City will make a reasonable accommodation(s) during the recruitment & selection process. Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting Human Resources at 480-350-8276. Requests should be made as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation.