Salary Range - $55,000.00 - $68,000.00 DOE
Full – Time - Medical, Dental, Life, LTD, PTO, 9 company Holiday's, 401K after 1 year of work.
Free Family Thanksgiving Point Membership which includes, free visits too all venues, discounts on food, retail, summer camps and classes, free or discounted tickets to nearly 50 Thanksgiving Point events, like Tulip Festival and Luminaria, each year.
The Director of Collections is a new position for Thanksgiving Point. Although not a collecting institution per se, we display and hold paleontological, geological, and anthropological collections at the Museum of Ancient Life, a growing live arthropod and pinned entomological collection at the Butterfly Biosphere, a collection of live farm animals at Farm Country, an exhibit-based collection at the Museum of Natural Curiosity, and, at times, botanical, and horticultural specimens at Ashton Gardens.
The time has come to develop more robust organizing frameworks and systems to advance collections stewardship and risk mitigation. We seek someone to lead this effort, support our amazing scientists and think creatively about collections and, perhaps, devise new strategies, nomenclature, or groupings that encourage curiosity and illuminate unusual and interesting linkages.
You will collaborate with our scientific departments and foster their efforts to care for their living and/or static collections, develop stewardship and risk management policies, support research efforts, and, once policies are established, maintain, support, and evolve collections care practices, scientific endeavors, and the re/development of content-based exhibits and experiences well into the future.
The priority areas of responsibility for the first two years are:
- Guiding the development of collections policies and stewardship practices for the specimens, objects, and living things at the Museum of Ancient Life and at Butterfly Biosphere,
- Assist the VP of Possibilities with aspects of Farm Country design (currently undergoing a wholesale metamorphosis), including tracking potential and actual collection information, researching best practices for livestock and crop stewardship, and other aspects I don’t even know are a thing right now.
As a member of the Joint Management Team, part of our unusually democratic hierarchy, you will work collaboratively other departments to manage the day-to-day affairs of the Institute, informing decisions that involve and/or impact collections stewardship. As a leader in the Design and Programming Division, you will collaborate closely with the departments that make up that awesome and super-inclusive team: Design, Learning and Engagement, Exhibitions, Audience Research and Evaluation, Volunteers, Paleontology, Entomology, and Agriculture.
SHIFT HOURS AND DAYS REQUIRED:
This is a full-time benefitted position with hours of work generally from 8:00 – 5:00 (flexible) Monday through Friday, however, you will also work on some weekends, evenings, and holidays when special events or projects demand.
SKILL AND LEADERSHIP REQUIREMENTS:
- Must have experience working with collections and understand stewardship best practices.
- Must have a scientific background and an appreciation for the interconnectness of “ologies” or deep demonstrable understanding of the nature of nature and the importance of stewardship.
- Must have experience leading projects and/or teams, possess collaborative mindset and ability to train, and support team members.
- Must value inquiry-based and free-choice learning and support the facilitation of personal discovery over of didactic content delivery.
- Must be adept at both verbal and written communication, with demonstrated success conveying scientific concepts to non-scientists, people of all ages, and from diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to work unsupervised and in support of Thanksgiving Point’s mission to bring to life the wonders of the natural world.
- Ability to perform essential duties which may include lifting up to 50 pounds, standing for long periods of time, bending and reaching, working in a range of conditions from hot and humid indoor environments to year-round outdoor conditions, and dusty indoor prep labs.
- Other duties as assigned by the VP of Possibilities.
- Valid driver license and good driving record.
- Must pass a background check and value inclusion, diversity, access, equity, and social justice.
EDUCATION AND TECHNICAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor’s degree in museology, biology, geology, ecology or related field, or equivalent practical experience.
- A minimum of 3 years working with collections and collections management.
- A minimum of 3 years working in a scientific, museum, or related field.
- Proficiency in the use of a personal computer and standard business software, including Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Knowledgeable use of collections management systems and understanding of available software and/or other appropriate tools such as Past Perfect, Tracks, Emu.
- Knowledge and application of animal husbandry practices is a plus.
- Willingness to learn new things while working in amazing surroundings.
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
Thanksgiving Point is a Utah institution with more than 25 years serving the community in education and entertainment. Our vision is to engage families and individuals of all ages and abilities. We accomplish this through a variety of offerings and places to explore and visit. Thanksgiving Point is home to five world-class venues: Farm Country, Butterfly Biosphere, Museum of Ancient Life, Ashton Gardens, and Museum of Natural Curiosity. Major annual events include Luminaria and the Tulip Festival, just to name a few. Each year more than two million visitors come to Thanksgiving Point from all 50 states and around the world. Team Members enjoy free venue admissions for themselves and their families, a 401K match incentive, Sundays always off, and so much more! Thanksgiving Point is a one-of-a-kind place, and we want Team Members who are that way too.
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Apply online at