ABOUT SONOMA VALLEY MUSEUM OF ART
Sonoma Valley Museum of Art (SVMA) is the largest visual arts organization in the San
Francisco North Bay region. With a budget of $1 million, SVMA has over 800 members, a
professional staff of 7, and a dedicated Board of Directors. SVMA completed a strategic plan in
2017, and in 2018 launched a three-year fundraising campaign to fund the expansion of key
cultural and educational priorities. For more information on Sonoma Valley Museum of Art,
please visit www.svma.org.
The Director of Development & Marketing is responsible for planning and managing all of the
activities and initiatives associated with the fundraising and marketing/public relations efforts of
This position reports to the Executive Director. The Director of Development & Marketing is
part of the senior management team and supervises a Development & Marketing Coordinator,
a Grants Consultant and Public Relations Consultants.
● Working with SVMA’s existing Development Plan, implement an effective fundraising
strategy to grow private fundraising in support of SVMA’s strategic plan, its priorities,
and the new financial model.
● Oversees the completion of the newly integrated CRM database, Compass 360, with
the support of a virtual assistant..
● Supports and partners with the Executive Director and the Board of Directors in
meeting all fundraising and membership goals.
● Manages and oversees the production of special events including the Annual Gala.
● Prepare agendas and materials for meetings of the Development Committee, the
Finance Committee, the Board of Directors, and other committees as needed.
Marketing & Public Relations 15%
● Creates and executes the marketing and public relations strategies, which support the
priorities and programs outlined in the strategic plan.
● Secures local, regional, and national media coverage of the Museum's exhibitions,
public programs, fundraising activities, and other important events.
● Conceives and implements overall institutional identity-building initiatives through
audience research, strategic planning, media, and marketing research.
● Directs and implements all external messaging and communications including web,
e-mail, social media, and print.
● Leads biweekly Marketing Meetings with museum staff and Public Relations consultants.
● Manages and directs the efforts of the PR consulting team.
● Directs and places all print and digital advertising for SVMA exhibitions, events, and
● Develops and oversees the budgets for the development and marketing department.
● Reviews and prepares all necessary collateral for fundraising and marketing programs.
● Ensures Gift Acceptance policies are up to date and subscribe to industry best
● Coordinates and oversees the execution of work plans for the Development and
● Manages and supports the development and marketing coordinator to achieve daily
activities and strategic goals.
● An interest in and passion for the visual arts and the mission of SVMA; experience in a
contemporary arts organization preferred.
● 5+ years of successful and demonstrated fundraising experience with increasing
responsibility in all channels: (major gifts, corporate and private foundation grants;
direct mail and digital fundraising; membership campaigns, special events, and planned
● Solid track record of securing five- and six-figure gifts from individuals, foundations, and
● Demonstrated experience with a capital campaign preferred.
● 3+ years of demonstrated successful marketing, communications, and public relations
● Demonstrated ability to manage and develop an effective audience and donor
● Ability to work both as a team and independently; experience managing a small staff.
● Strategic, flexible and creative thinker.
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
● Outstanding interpersonal and listening skills.
● Strong analytical skills and attention to detail.
● Fluency with Microsoft Office Suite and database software programs.
● Bachelor’s degree required; advanced or graduate training such as CFRE preferred.
● Works collaboratively.
● At ease interacting and conversing with a diverse range of audience members, donors,
and prospective donors.
● General knowledge of art and museums is a plus.
● Highly professional
To apply for this position, please send a copy of your resume with a cover letter to
firstname.lastname@example.org by June 30, 2019. All applications and inquiries will receive a response
and will be kept strictly confidential. SVMA is an Equal Opportunity Employer.