Position Title: Interpretation and Audience Research Intern
Department: Collections and Interpretation
Location: Santa Fe, NM
Pay: $14.00 per hour
Hours: Full time temporary, Internship, Summer 2023 (12 weeks)
The Georgia O’Keeffe Museum has received grant funding from the Association of Art Museum Directors to support this internship opportunity to encourage undergraduate students from backgrounds underrepresented in museums to explore museum careers.
This internship focuses on interpretation and audience research at the Georgia O’Keeffe Museum:
- Work with Deputy Director and curatorial staff to refine interpretive plans for upcoming exhibitions and installations, including collaborating to develop interpretive materials such as labels, audio tour recordings, etc. 30%
- Survey collection and intercept interviews with visitors on specific research questions, including what expectations visitors had prior to visiting, 20%
- Gallery observations, including timing and tracking of visitors in the museum, 25%
- Work with supervisor to analyze data and report on findings, 15%
- Give a short presentation to staff on the projects completed during the summer internship, 5%
- Learn about other departments in the organization, 5%
Key Learning/Experience for Intern:
- Learn about art museum interpretation and its role in developing exhibitions and installations, as well as the intersection between interpretation and curation.
- Learn about audience research methodologies, including survey creation and survey data collection and timing and tracking.
- Learn about developing interview protocols and practices for audience research.
- Learn about museums, how they are organized, what kinds of work and careers are available within the museum field, and what kinds of skills and knowledge are needed to work in various museum professions.
Background and Qualifications
- Some college
- Experience with social science research methodologies not required, but beneficial
Skills and Abilities
· Interested in museums, particularly how exhibitions and installations are developed and implemented
· Outgoing, comfortable speaking with people
· Organized and detail oriented
- Employee Assistance Program
- The Georgia O’Keeffe Museum Intern program offers opportunities to learn more about Museum careers, as well as Santa Fe and Northern New Mexico through conversations with professionals, group field trips, etc.
The deadline to apply for this internship is Friday March 3, 2023
To be considered, please send your resume to:
The Georgia O’Keeffe Museum is an equal-opportunity employer and considers all candidates for employment based on such factors as knowledge, education, skill, experience, the ability to perform required activities and availability, and without regard to race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, age, ancestry, citizenship, national origin, disability or any other legally protected status.