The Mission of Mission: The Musical Instrument Museum (MIM) enriches our world by collecting, preserving, and making accessible an astonishing variety of musical instruments and performance videos from every country in the world. MIM offers guests a welcoming and fun experience, incomparable interactive technology, dynamic programming, and exceptional musical performances. MIM fosters appreciated of the world’s diverse cultures by showing how we innovate, adapt, and learn from each other to create music—the language of the soul. For more information visit our website at MIM.org.
Qualified candidates should submit a resume and cover letter in one merged document via the link below to apply.
Position Summary: MIM is looking for an enthusiastic individual to plan, develop, and supervise Guest Service for MIM. In partnership with other departments, the Guest Service Supervisor will ensure a positive guest experience which reinforces the MIM brand for over 325,000 guests per year. The ideal candidate will possess a guest-oriented demeanor, excellent interpersonal skills, and keen attention to detail.
This includes responsibility for admission and membership sales, box office management and ticket sales for a 300-seat music theater, supervision of Guest Service Team Members and Volunteer Team Members, and coordination of the guidePORT audio system issued to all guests. This position reports to the Guest Service Manager and often requires evening and weekend availability.
- Supervise Guest Service Team and Volunteer Team Members and oversee all daily operations of the department.
- Draft and maintain all operating policies, procedures, and training materials for Guest Service and ticket sales in the lobby, over the phone, and online. Establish, communicate, and ensure compliance with policies for sales, reports, customer service, cash handling, returns, and box office opening and closing procedures.
- Select, train, and manage Guest Service Team Members. Provide coaching and development opportunities in order to foster a high-performance culture.
- In conjunction with Guest Service Manager and in collaboration with the Institutional Advancement and Creative teams, oversee management of membership sales and initiatives to help meet membership goals.
- Maintain strong knowledge of PatronManager software.
- Assist with maintenance of the guidePORT audio system distributed to guests.
- In collaboration with the Theater and Creative teams, administer events, discounts, ticket content, reports, and other entries in the PatronManager software. Print tickets and manage will call process for events as needed.
- Work with Education and Public Programs teams to assist with entry of group tours and processes for guest programming.
- Oversee and be responsible for all inbound phone activity to the department, not limited to monitoring and implementing solutions to minimize phone queue wait time (not to exceed 20 seconds).
- Station ticket sales or telephone positions as needed.
- Other duties as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree and proven success (2-3 years’ experience) in a management role in Guest Service in a large museum or similar institution strongly preferred.
- Demonstrates strong leadership skills and possesses the ability to develop and maintain collaborative relationships across the museum.
- Museum and/or box office experience strongly preferred.
- Direct experience with PatronManager is preferred.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (particularly Excel; but also Word, Outlook, PowerPoint).
- Strong problem-solving, attention to detail, time management, and organization skills a must.
- Excellent presentation, interpersonal, and written communication skills.
- Ability to cheerfully exercise patience and sound judgment in a variety of situations, especially in direct interactions with the public.
- Consistent focus and attention to the MIM brand in all matters of Guest Service.
- Ability to quickly adapt to changes to make swift decisions.
- Evenings and/or weekends often required.
Qualified candidates should submit a resume and cover letter in one merged document via the link below to apply: