Pacific Grove Museum of Natural History
Job title: Guest Services & Museum Store Specialist
Supervisor: Museum Administration Manager
Direct Reports: None
Peer positions: Guest Services Specialist
Status: Part-time / Non-Exempt
Hours: 24 hours per week (Wed/Thurs/Fri) (9:30-12:30, 1:00-4:30) up to 30 hours per week
Weekly schedule will vary based on the needs of the Museum. This position will be no more than 30 hours and work, with opening/closing hours subject to change and the possibility of after hour special/member events and functions, upon request.
Compensation: $15-$17 an hour
Position Summary: Our Guest Service and Museum Store Specialist (GSMSS) is responsible for creating a positive Museum experience for our guests and volunteers. GSMSS’s run the front desk, answer phones, tidy the Museum exhibits and Museum Store, assist with program facilitation upon request, and accomplish other duties as assigned from time to time. Duties also include maintaining the Museum Store, maintaining inventory, buying new inventory, and shipping online sales
The GSMSS is part of the small, but dynamic Development & Engagement team at PG Museum. Our ideal candidate will enjoy a fast paced, varied and imaginative, collaborative Museum environment, and take both pride and pleasure in delivering our Mission and supporting our Vision for our guests.
PGMNH Mission & Vision Statements
To inspire discovery, wonder, and stewardship of our natural world.
We envision a community of curious minds, engaged in discovering the natural heritage and cultural legacy that exist today on the Central California Coast. The Museum is a catalyst for conservation and a valued learning resource in this region, facilitating active inquiry for all ages.
Front Desk Job Duties
• Greets the public, briefly orientating visitors to the Museum, programs and events;
• Processes admissions and any fees for programs, memberships and events through Altru. Cash handling involves all tenders and must be handled accurately and balance to zero at end of shift;
• Refers to the online ticketing system and is spatially aware of capacity;
• Outlines Museum activities, provides orientation information about the galleries, and provides directional services (e.g., bathroom, elevator, garden, etc.);
• Actively promotes and sells annual memberships to patrons visiting the museum, answering questions and providing detailed descriptions on benefits of becoming an annual member;
• Reminds visitors we are non-profit and graciously suggests donating their change in the various donation boxes available throughout the Museum;
• Makes sure up-to-date informational materials about the Museum are readily available;
• Answers the Museum's central telephone lines promptly, answer inquiries courteously, and direct callers to appropriate staff offices and individuals as needed;
• Is knowledgeable about opening/closing procedures, including basic cleaning tasks;
• Observes individuals meandering the Museum and reports any facility irregularities;
• Collects and communicates visitor feedback and follows-up on guest interactions where appropriate;
• Reports all emergency situations to appropriate management staff.
Museum Store Duties
- Under the supervision of the Administration Manager, maintain store inventory in Altru and Squarespace
- Orders new inventory from various vendors
- Shipping out online orders and prepare curbside/pick up orders
- Create creative and eye catching store displays
• Assists with clerical duties, which may be performed at the Front Desk for other Museum departments; mainly, monthly reports
• Being available to help clean the Museum according to the Covid cleaning schedule
• During slow periods, ensures that the Museum interactive stations are clean and back in order and the Museum Store is neat at all times;
QUALIFICATIONS: To be successful, an individual must be able to perform each job duty satisfactorily.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: High school graduation required; some college preferred. Experience in customer service, retail store sales and inventory, and cash handling required.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
● Passion for the Museum’s mission
● Friendly demeanor
• Cheerfully exercises patience and sound judgment in a variety of situations, especially in direct interactions with the public
● Excellent customer service skills
• Familiarity with computer systems, point-of-sale systems, and merchandise sales
• Cash handling expertise
• Strong communication skills
• Must be able to stand for extended periods
• Ability to work as a team player
● A commitment to diversity, equity, accessibility and inclusion in our Museum for guests and staff
Essential and marginal functions may require maintaining physical condition necessary for standing or sitting for extended periods. Moderate lifting such as setting up 100 chairs for a lecture and operating motorized vehicles. The position requires the need to lift exhibit items weighing up to 40 pounds. This position will involve working both indoors and outdoors in a variety of weather conditions. The working days/hours will vary depending on need and may require weekend and evening work.
Please email a letter of interest, resume, and contact information for 3 references to Andrea Lawson at email@example.com.