Oakland Museum of California
Req No 2022-1415
Type Regular Full-Time
Targeted Job Start Date
The Membership Coordinator provides support for OMCA's membership program, part of the Development and Advancement department. In addition to providing administrative support for all membership activities, this position is also a key strategy partner for the Associate Director of Membership and the Individual Giving team. The Membership Coordinator responds to member inquiries, coordinates membership activities and communications, mails renewal requests and fulfillment packages, and helps to maintain the membership database. The person in this role acts as a primary liaison to many of the Museum's members, providing excellent customer service and proactive problem solving.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The following reflects OMCA's definition of essential functions for this position, but does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned. OMCA may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this position at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons.
- Support the Museum's mission, values, vision, and core commitment to the visitor experience, community engagement, anti-racism, and institutional relevancy for the future.
- Contribute to and support the OMCA strategic plan, annual priorities, and institutional initiatives such as diversity advancement.
- Contribute to a positive organizational culture based on mutual respect, a spirit of collegiality, cooperation, and openness to many perspectives.
- Participate in a culture of ongoing learning, collaboration, innovation, creativity, and community engagement.
- All positions will have core functional responsibilities, cross functional team activation and learning and development as a core function of each role.
POSITION DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Member Relations and Communications
- Responsible for creation of email and direct mail renewal campaigns and special appeals for member acquisition, including compiling data, segmenting appeals, and coordinating with mail house
- Plan, develop, and execute the quarterly direct mail Member Calendar
- Encourage membership renewals and keep members up-to-date on program benefits
- Implement communications tactics that steward relationships with members and support OMCA's membership retention strategy and fundraising plan (e.g. create surveys, written communication, etc.)
- Primary point of contact for phone calls and emails. Field and make phone calls from and to members and general callers to answer questions, fulfill requests, or forward them to the correct contact as needed
- Demonstrate enthusiasm for evolving OMCA's fundraising practices to align with the Museum's work to become a more anti-racist institution and support OMCA's values around diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Acts as liaison with visitor service staff on membership sales, reporting, selling strategies, and program updates
- Collaborate closely with Marketing on the reviewing, editing and delivery of Member email communications
- Coordinate on-site logistics of Membership programs and events including exhibition previews, and other special events
- Train and supervise volunteers to support member activities
- Assist with design and proofreading of print and digital membership materials including invitations, brochures, and fulfillment and acknowledgment letters
- Work with Associate Director of Membership and Development Systems Analyst to generate Membership lists through Raiser's Edge
- Assists with on-site sales tactics based on membership strategy and institutional goals
- Support Membership and Annual Fund Associate in processing new and renewal gift memberships with payments made by check, cash, or credit through mailed forms, on-site, online, and phone transactions
- Fulfill benefits for renewed, gift, and complementary memberships in-house and generate acknowledgments
- Maintain accurate constituent records through periodic cleanup and updates
- Liaise with visitor experience staff to ensure accurate and sufficient membership data entry in the ticketing software
Administrative & Institutional
- Input and track invoices, order collateral and track supply inventory
- Participate in a cross-functional institutional team of your choosing, as part of OMCA's organization-wide commitment to collaboration and distributed leadership.
- Other duties as assigned
- Ability to display and encourage visitor and internal customer service, take and share responsibility and treat others with respect
- 1-2 years relevant experience
- English language proficiency in both spoken and written form; a secondary language (particularly Spanish or Chinese) desirable
- Relational database experience; Intermediate Raiser's Edge experience required
- Administrative and customer service experience, preferably with nonprofit membership, fundraising, and event planning experience
- MS Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint) and/or Google Suite
- Experience with Mailchimp preferred
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The environment may include:
- Museum environment involves both indoor and outdoor working conditions
- Ability to travel between OMCA locations, and other travel as required by position responsibilities
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including evenings and weekends
- Ability to lift up to 25 lbs.
The Oakland Museum of California is dedicated to diversity, inclusion, accessibility and equity. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ability/disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We highly encourage our diverse community to apply for available employment, internship, fellowship and volunteer positions at the Museum, as we aim to ensure our staff reflects the diversity of our visitors and the surrounding community. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, OMCA will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities.