The City of Mesa is a great place to work! In addition to competitive salaries, the City also has a generous amount of other benefits available. For more information, please see our website: http://mesaaz.gov/benefits/
Mesa Arts Center Curator
($54,736.66 - $76,502.40 Annually)
A Mesa Arts Center Curator is responsible for coordinating and overseeing the programming, purchasing, and display of visual art for the five Mesa Contemporary Arts Museum exhibition spaces, atrium space, sculpture courtyard, lecture hall and classroom. The Mesa Arts Center Curator manages the operations of the exhibition spaces including supervising full-time, part-time, temporary staff, and volunteers; oversees and administers Mesa's Contemporary Art Museum Collection; coordinates the installation of purchased artwork for the galleries and other City facilities; serves as the main contact for building rental; and cultivates relationships with donors and potential donors.
- Coordinating and scheduling juried art exhibitions, curate exhibitions, and supervising others who curate exhibitions
- Selecting, cataloging, maintaining an accurate inventory, and accessioning and deaccessioning pieces in the collection
- Evaluating the condition of art works, and coordinating appropriate conservation and/or restoration measures, as needed
Other duties involve developing and implementing a Gallery Education Program including:
- Preparing and producing educational materials for artwork on display
- Promoting the galleries to public school students
- Scheduling special interest tours
- Collaborating with other Mesa Arts Center programs such as Performing Live, Community Engagement, Arts Studios, and others to provide hands-on art activities for students and visitors
- Performs related duties as required
Supervision is received from the Arts Administrator who reviews work through conferences, reports and results achieved.
This class is FLSA exempt-professional.
Employee Values: All employees of the City of Mesa are expected to uphold and exhibit the City's shared employee values of Knowledge, Respect, and Integrity.
Minimum Qualifications Required:
- Any combination of training, education, and experience equivalent to graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor's Degree in Fine Art, Arts Administration, Art History, or a closely related field.
- Considerable (3 - 5 years) experience in museum or art gallery operations and public art programming.
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Master's Degree in Fine Art, Arts Administration, Art History, or a closely related field.
City of Mesa offers a competitive benefits package. A CITY OF MESA ONLINE APPLICATION IS REQUIRED. Applications available 01/25/19 and must apply by 02/07/19. Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible as we will review applications as they are received. For complete job description, requirements and online application form, please visit our web site at: www.mesaaz.gov/jobs
City of Mesa is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.