Pacific Grove Museum of Natural History, Pacific Grove CA Job Opportunity
Job title: Museum Educator (Educator I)
Supervisor: Director of Education & Outreach
Direct Reports: Volunteers
Peer Positions: Guest Services Specialist, Museum Educator I
Status: Full-time / Non-Exempt / Benefits Eligible
Hours: 40 hours per week, Tuesday-Saturday, some evenings and weekends will be required, 2 year contract, renewable
The Museum Educator provides high quality, mission-based educational experiences in natural and cultural history for students prekindergarten-adult in programs at the Museum and Monarch Sanctuary, as well as outreach activities and programs in the field. The Museum Educator assists with curriculum and logistics for the education programs provided by the museum-- camp and after school, field trip, Watershed Guardians, LiMPETS, adult education, museum public programs, or outreach. The Museum Educator also assists with other museum education and outreach activities.
The Museum Educator is part of the small, but dynamic Education and Outreach Team. Our ideal candidate will enjoy a fast paced, varied and imaginative, collaborative Museum environment, and take both pride and pleasure in delivering our Mission and supporting our Vision, on and off site. This is a wonderful opportunity for someone just starting out in the museum education field.
Mission & Vision Statements
To inspire discovery, wonder, and stewardship of our natural world.
We envision a community of curious minds, engaged in discovering the natural heritage and cultural legacy that exist today on the Central California Coast. The Museum is a catalyst for conservation and a valued learning resource in this region, facilitating active inquiry for all ages.
- Presents programs to students and the general public, leads discussions and group activities
- Participates in the development of curriculum and instructional materials
- Arranges schedule and space
- Implements evaluation programs
- Supervises volunteers
- Assists in program logistics
- Participates in collaboration with other organizations and community partners
- Participates in professional development
- Collaborates with the education team
- Collaborates with Museum staff to deliver Museum-wide programs
- 1-2 years of direct work experience in classroom, afterschool, camp, or informal education.
- A commitment to diversity, equity, accessibility and inclusion in education.
- Bachelor’s degree in natural science, education, or related subjects.
- Proficient in G Suite computer applications including Google Drive, Docs, Sheets, Gmail, and Calendar.
- Collaboration and communication skills for working with staff, volunteers, museum guests, teachers, families, and children.
- Passion for the mission and vision of The Pacific Grove Museum of Natural History https://www.pgmuseum.org/who-we-are
- Excellent interpersonal and oral and written communication skills.
- Flexibility and ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds in a fast-paced, team- oriented environment.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to prioritize tasks and work independently.
- Dedication to hands-on, inquiry-based learning.
- High energy, creative thinker.
- Bilingual, Spanish a plus.
- Animal care experience or willingness to learn.
Essential and marginal functions may require maintaining physical condition necessary for standing or sitting for extended periods. Moderate lifting such as setting up 100 chairs for a lecture and operating motorized vehicles. The position requires the need to lift exhibit items weighing up to 40 pounds. This position will involve working both indoors and outdoors in a variety of weather conditions. The working days/hours will vary depending on need and will require weekend and evening work.
Licenses and Certification:
Possession of a valid California driver's license, a satisfactory driving record, and current insurance. Current CPR and First Aid certification.
Please email a letter of interest, resume, and contact information for 3 references by 7/31/21 to Liese Murphree, Director of Education & Outreach at firstname.lastname@example.org