This individual serves as a public face of the Center of the West, able to articulately act as Center representative with the public and the media. They communicate the activities, purposes, and philosophy of the Center of the West to the community-at-large and, specifically, to potential clients, employees, volunteers, and donors, by making effective use of a variety of approaches. This individual will create compelling marketing campaigns using multiple platforms and strategies, cultivating growing and maintaining relationships with media, both traditional and electronic. Positions the Center of the West as a national leader in the stories of the American West.
- Oversees electronic media, including overall strategy for website and e-communications based on the Center’s strategic plan.
- Oversees social media strategy and content goals for Center’s general pages, including PR staff-generated and user-generated content. Monitors and responds to user comments and inquiries.
- Drives awareness of Center activities to increase attendance and enhance reputation.
- Serves as the liaison to Center’s designated marketing firm as well as other partners.
- Produces and distributes engaging and creative content (e.g., media alerts and news releases) in a timely manner using the web platform and other avenues in collaboration with curatorial and education staff; follow up as needed to enhance media relations.
- Manages department budget.
- Recruits retains, supervises, and evaluates Public Relations/Marketing interns.
- Works in partnership with Electronic Communications Manager to ensure consistent messaging between traditional and electronic media.
- Develops and directs internal and external communications, brand strategies, marketing, and public relations strategies, and campaigns across multi-faceted platforms to include website and the digital presence.
- Leverages consumer insights, understanding of marketplace and competitive dynamics, and other data to inform marketing decision-making and desired outcomes.
- In collaboration with Electronic Communications Manager, identifies, manages, creates, and publishes high-quality digital content including e-mail, video, story banks, website content, and social media.
- In collaboration with Electronic Communications Manager, manages the user experience of the website including site navigation, content development, checkout funnel, and promotional campaigns.
- Stays up to date on the newest trends, tools, and insights within digital marketing, serves as a marketing technology resource, and advocates across the organization to optimize plans based on these insights.
- Articulates, prioritizes, leads, and implements a future vision for the digital space that aligns marketing technology with strategic goals, improves processes and performance, streamlines technology, and crafts new digital business models.
- Conceives and implement concepts, guidelines, and strategies in various creative projects and oversee them to completion.
- Revises content and presentations, approving/rejecting ideas, providing feedback to the team.
- Keeps team informed by compiling, analyzing, and reporting marketing results; and by forwarding plan projections and updates.
- Ability to meet schedules/deadlines
- Excellent communication skills – written and verbal
- Ability to work collaboratively with staff and other departments
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Efficient and able to manage multiple priorities
- Supervises Electronic Communications Manager and interns.
Required Education and Experience:
- A Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Arts degree in a related field (marketing, advertising, journalism, English, communications, public relations, etc.) or at least five years’ experience is required.
- Previous non-profit organization experience preferred.
- Previous managerial/supervisory experience appreciated.
- Must possess an excellent, documented command of computer technology.
- Must be articulate and have strong spelling and grammar skills.
- Must exhibit exemplary interpersonal skills, diplomacy, loyalty, and mature judgment.
- Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Buffalo Bill Center of the West provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, age, disability, gender identity, results of genetic testing, or service in the military. Equal employment opportunity applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leave of absence, compensation, and training.