The Park City Museum is a non-profit organization dedicated to preserving, protecting, and promoting Park City’s rich history, heritage, and culturally significant sites. The Retail Manager directly reports to the Executive Director, works under moderate supervision, and is responsible for the first impression our visitors and members have upon entering the Museum. This employee is accountable for the success of the retail and e-commerce operation and must drive sales, profitability, and maintain an attractive and friendly environment for all our visitors and members.
The following are the duties that must be fulfilled by the Retail Manager:
- Build a cohesive team atmosphere within the department to foster the highest level of functionality, communication, and teamwork
- Oversee the planning and operation of the Museum Store and e-commerce site in an efficient and effective manner with attention to maximizing profitability while furthering the Museum’s mission
- Coordinate with Executive Director regarding inventory purchases and maintenance
- Correct inventory discrepancies and conduct one physical inventory every December
- Conduct spot inventories throughout the year
- Prepare monthly sales and visitation reports with the Executive Director at the beginning of each month
- Understand and reconcile vendor invoices and properly enter inventory receivables
- Manage, monitor, and fulfill e-commerce and telephone orders
- Understand the principles of visual merchandising and creating impactful displays
- Manage the point-of-sale system and troubleshoot IT issues with appropriate tech support
- Oversee Assistant Retail Manager, Store Assistants, Gallery Guides, and store volunteers to assure exceptional customer service in all visitor interactions and adherence to Museum policies
- Manage the scheduling of all Store staff and volunteers and develop training protocols to train, motivate, and mentor all staff.
- Provide exceptional customer service at all times with a variety of visitors with diverse abilities and backgrounds and promote the Museum’s mission and brand to those visitors
- Collaborate with the Director of Education in the ongoing recruitment of volunteers for placement as Gallery Guides or Museum Docents and conduct training when necessary
- Represent the Store by participating in monthly staff meetings and work with the Executive Director to develop annual budget plans.
- Other duties as assigned by the Executive Director
The Retail Manager must have/be:
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university; a Master’s degree is preferred
- A minimum of 4 years of experience in a service or retail industry with some management experience required (preferably in a museum setting); or an equivalent combination of experience and education
- Extensive computer skills including a working knowledge of Microsoft Office, NCR Counterpoint, and Past Perfect
- Strong leadership skills with an ability to connect positively with Store staff and volunteers in a professional manner
- Detail-oriented with a desire to ensure sales goals are met or exceeded
- Excellent attendance, punctuality, interpersonal and customer service skills
- Ability to manage daily activities while balancing long-term strategies and planning
- An upbeat team player able to maintain positive relations throughout the Museum
- Solid understanding of professional museum practices and procedures
- Able to meet the physical demands of the job which includes walking, standing, bending, kneeling, and lifting or moving objects up to 40 pounds.
This is a full-time position required to work Wednesday through Sunday including holidays with Monday and Tuesday off. Candidate must be able to meet physical demands of the job detailed above.
Include paid vacation days, personal and sick leave, and holidays, along with health insurance and a health savings account. Salary range of $42,000 to $48,000.
Please send resume, cover letter, and list of three references to Morgan Pierce, Executive Director at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Museum Retail Manager” in the subject line. No phone calls please.
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.