The San José Museum of Art has an exciting opportunity for a Director of Marketing and Communications. The Director of Marketing and Communications is part of a small team of creative and dedicated museum professionals, managing three direct reports, and is responsible for the oversight and planning of all the Museum’s external communications, creatively promoting SJMA’s brand and reputation throughout the region and internationally, and attracting diverse audiences to the Museum’s wide array of exhibitions, programs, and activities on- and offsite. As a senior staff member, the Director of Marketing and Communication advises the Executive Director in making strategic decisions regarding the public advancement of the Museum. The position also serves as the primary contact and spokesperson for the Museum, and is directly responsible for outreach to the press.
Founded in 1969 by artists, SJMA presents modern and contemporary art exhibitions and programs; international in scope, it celebrates the cutting-edge vision of California and Pacific Rim artists. Given its location in the heart of Silicon Valley, the Museum has a substantial commitment to showing and nurturing visionary work in new media. SJMA’s permanent collection contains more than 2,500 works of art, including paintings, sculpture, installations, new media, photography, drawings, prints, and artist’s books.
SJMA is accredited by the American Alliance of Museums and is located on the Plaza de César Chavez in downtown San José. The Museum serves 100,000 people a year, including some 40,000 school children, and is the largest provider of arts education in Santa Clara County.
The Marketing and Communications Department at the San José Museum of Art helps the diverse communities of Silicon Valley and beyond, find and access the dynamic exhibitions, activities, educational programs, and resources at SJMA through creative brand management, data-driven, multi-channel strategies in traditional and digital media, and a variety of partnerships and outreach programs.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop and implement media relations goals and strategies, oversee activities of PR and social media assistant in press release and press list development, and organize media events and press conferences as appropriate.
- Plan and ensure effectiveness of advertising, email and direct marketing, exterior and interior signage, as well as overall consistency of branding and messaging, conveyed both physically and virtually by the Museum.
- Oversee and manage department budget and annual schedule of Museum's Third Thursday program, overseeing cross-departmental team, and working with community partners to ensure array of lively, crossdisciplinary after-hours programs that enhance Museum's exhibitions and embrace diversity of audience and partners.
- Oversee activities of special projects coordinator in development of cross-disciplinary, multi-partner program initiatives, and one-off opportunities. Shepherd SJMA's participation in programs and projects proposed by partners in keeping with SJMA's mission, availability, and resources.
- Coordinate with civic entities such as Downtown Association, Team San Jose, and City of San José departments to amplify the Museum's role as a hub of cultural activity in Silicon Valley.
- Monitor and report on metrics of success for attendance, marketing activities and visibility, audience demographics, and the impact of Museum's programs.
- Bachelor of Arts (M.A. desirable) in Marketing, Communications or related field, and 8+ years related experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required
- Superior editorial and copywriting skills
- Experience with print production and project management
- Track record of high-quality earned media placements.
- Familiarity with trends in social media and digital marketing
- Experience with CRM systems and data-driven decision
- Experience in museums or other non-profit organizations preferred.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends as required.
The position requires a background check and the ability to work weekends and evenings as required.
SJMA offers a competitive benefits plan including medical, dental, vision and paid sick and vacation time. The museum offers a generous retirement program.
We are an equal opportunity employer. At SJMA, we value the diversity of individuals and the ideas, perspectives, insights, and values they bring to the workplace.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to HRdept@sjmusart.org by Friday, May 18.
Due to the high volume of interest, regrettably, we cannot respond to individual applicants. If you are selected as a potential candidate, SJMA will contact you to schedule an interview.
No phone calls, please.