The Natural History Museum of Utah is seeking a Graphic Designer with experience in both print and electronic media, who will work in a creative, innovative, fast-paced environment with a variety of museum staff members to address communication needs, conceptualize ideas, and create visual designs within established budgets.
At the Natural History Museum of Utah we place a strong emphasis on providing an exceptional experience to every guest who visits the museum or participates in any of our programs. All staff members, at every level and in all departments, are a critical part of providing this level of experience. Candidates selected for employment with NHMU will receive training and be expected to consistently contribute to creating an exceptional and memorable experience at every opportunity.
Bachelor’s Degree in Graphic Design, Illustration, or a related area plus 3 years of related experience and a portfolio at the time of the interview required; demonstrated effective communication skills; the ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines; and a commitment to provide excellent customer service required. Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
• Meets with internal clients initially to determine overall goals, communication needs, budget and deadlines; meets subsequently to discuss changes and finalize project details
• Researches and studies ideas related to each project; conceptualizes original work to communicate intent of project
• Develops cost estimates for clients by balancing the needs of the project with the available budget
• Designs a wide range of artistic material such as signs, banners, posters, brochures, billboards, and web graphics using Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, Acrobat, and Microsoft Office Suite in the Macintosh environment.
• Produces art for assigned project, by arranging visuals, copy, etc. in available space to maximize impact
• Completes press checks to maintain design quality and accuracy
• May hire outside vendors including photographers, illustrators and/or production artists to meet particular styles of photography, or illustration
• May keep department computer hardware and software running and up-to-date by trouble shooting problems and reviewing new programs
• Other duties as assigned
• Active interest in design trends, color theory, and modern aesthetics
• Writing and editing experience
• Experience leading creative teams and designing with other professionals
• Ability to absorb and apply constructive criticism from peers and clients
• Passion for science and nature
Posting End Date
Open until filled
Up to $35,000 a year
For more Information and to apply
Posting # PRN18488B