Department: Guest Operations Location: San Francisco
Reports to: Guest Experience Manager Status: Full-Time
Date: May 2018 Hours: About 32-40 hour/week
Hourly Rate: $16/hour
Guest Experience Associates offer exemplary guest service to the general public while facilitating guest operations and engagement. Guest Experience Associates engage guests to create an exceptional Museum experience through in-gallery talks and Museum content engagement. In addition, Guest Experience Associates offer guest service support in a variety of operational roles including gallery entrance, coat check, special exhibitions and museum galleries.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide information to the public regarding museum content, programs, ticketing, membership, directions, facilities, and other pertinent guest information.
- Stay up to date on museum events, programs, promotions, policies and procedures in order to inform and assist guests.
- Respond to and resolve guest complaints and concerns, calling upon management as needed.
- Enforce safety and Museum policies in exhibit spaces.
- Examine and scan guest tickets, membership cards, and other identification for admission to museum galleries, programs, and events. Work with security to ensure that only ticketed guests gain access to paid areas.
- Help to ensure the smooth operation and safety of public areas by monitoring guest traffic flow and assisting guests as needed. Provide instructions, assistance, and guidance to guests in the event of an emergency.
- Operate the coat check area, maintaining the security of guests’ checked items.
- Solicit museum membership sales onsite and assist with potential member questions.
- Maintain orderly and well-stocked workspaces. Keep all public areas stocked with brochures and promotional materials.
- Maintain a professional appearance and demeanor, adhering to dress code provided.
- Assist with events and other duties as assigned from Guest Operations management.
- Engage guests within Museum galleries in active observation and discussion to enhance overall museum experience.
- Provide educational experiences within the Museum galleries to create an environment that encourages and supports the Museum mission “to inform present and future generations about the man [Walter Elias Disney] and, through his story, to inspire them to heed their imagination and persevere in pursuing their goals.”
- Present Spotlight Talks (5-10 minute in gallery talks) as assigned throughout shift.
- Assist and facilitate additional gallery, theater and studio programming as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- High school diploma.
- Two years of experience in front-line customer service.
- BA or equivalent work experience required; studies in history, art history, museum studies, museum education, or other topics related to site specific programs preferred.
- Some experience in public speaking and/or presenting educational information to the public.
- Experience working in a museum, educational, historical or cultural setting a plus. Knowledge of and enthusiasm for history or other topics related to the site preferred.
- Bilingual fluency, especially in Spanish, Cantonese, Mandarin, or Japanese.
Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent customer service and communication skills.
- Basic cash handling skills required. Proficiency with relational database software, particularly ticketing systems.
- Capable of speaking in front of large and small groups of visitors.
- Demonstrated ability to engage effectively with culturally diverse audiences and audiences of varying age.
- Must be able to employ museum policies and procedures while exercising decisiveness, good judgment, and diplomacy when dealing with the public. Demonstrated ability to resolve guest situations.
- Able to work with a variety of people from various backgrounds and cultures.
- Must be able to multi-task, function as part of a close-knit team, and enjoy working with the public.
- Must be available to work on evenings, weekends, and holidays.
- Ability to adapt and be flexible in a dynamic work environment.
To apply: Please send your resume, cover letter and to Careers@wdfmuseum.org. Please also include in your email available start date and shift/schedule availability. Please title email “Guest Experience Associate- Full Time.” Electronic applications preferred. No phone calls please. Open until filled.