Oakland Museum of California
Req No 2018-1253
Type Regular Full-Time
Closing Date ..
Targeted Job Start Date 5/1/2018
The Oakland Museum of California values are fundamental to our institutional culture and guide our work together.
Excellence: We are committed to excellence and working at the highest standards of integrity and professionalism.
Community: We believe everyone should feel welcome and part of our community, both within the Museum and with our visitors and neighbors.
Innovation: We embrace innovation and calculated risk-taking to achieve our mission.
Commitment: Our work at the Museum demonstrates a sense of purpose and a shared accountability for the institution's success.
The Membership Coordinator provides support for the Center for Philanthropy and Institutional Advancement by coordinating museum membership activities and communications, mailing renewal requests and fulfillment packages, and maintaining the membership database. The Membership Coordinator responds to member inquiries on the phone, in person, and via email.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The following reflects OMCA's definition of essential functions for this position, but does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned. OMCA may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this position at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons.
- Support the Museum's mission, values, vision, and core commitment to the visitor experience, community engagement, and institutional relevancy for the future
- Contribute to and support the OMCA strategic plan, annual priorities, and institutional initiatives such as diversity advancement
- Participate in a culture of ongoing learning, collaboration, innovation, creativity, and community engagement
POSITION DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Member Relations and Communications
- Responsible for creation of email and direct mail renewal campaigns and special appeals for member acquisition, including compiling data, segmenting appeals, and coordinating with mail house
- Execute the planning and development of the quarterly direct mail Member Calendar
- Encourage membership renewals and keep members up-to-date on program benefits
- Acts as primary point of contact for members via email and written correspondence
- Implement communications tactics that steward relationships with new and at-risk members that fit into the overall membership retention strategy and fundraising plan (e.g. create surveys, written communication, etc.)
- Execute benefit reminder campaign for multi-year members
- Secondary point of contact for phone calls. Field and make phone calls from and to members and general callers to answer questions, fulfill requests, or forward them to the correct contact as needed
- Acts as liaison with visitor service staff on membership sales, reporting, and program updates
- Coordinate on-site logistics of Membership programs including exhibition previews, Member Appreciation activities, and other special events and help train volunteers to check-in members and communicate benefits
- Assists with design and proofreading of print and digital membership materials including invitations, brochures, and fulfillment and acknowledgment letters
- Work with Membership Manager and Development Systems Analyst to create and edit policies and procedures regarding database and gift management
- Work with Membership Manager and Development Systems Analyst to generate Membership lists through Raiser's Edge
- Research and secure promotional items to be used for on-site sales and work within budgetary constraints
- Assists with on-site sales tactics based on membership strategy and institutional goals
Gift Administration Support
- Support Membership and Annual Fund Associate in processing new and renewal gift memberships with payments made by check, cash, or credit through mailed forms, on-site, online, and over the phone transactions
- Fulfill benefits for renewed, gift, and complementary memberships in-house and generate acknowledgments
- Maintain accurate constituent records through periodic cleanup and updates
- Liaise with visitor experience staff to ensure accurate and sufficient membership data entry in the ticketing software
- Order collateral and track supply inventory
- Input and track invoices for membership team
- Maintain membership team organizational documents
- Other duties as assigned
A combination of experience and education that demonstrates possession of the necessary knowledge and abilities for this position is required as noted:
- Ability to display and encourage visitor and internal customer service, take and share responsibility and treat others with respect
- 2-4 years relevant experience required
- Relational database experience; Intermediate Raiser's Edge experience required
- Administrative and customer service experience, preferably with nonprofit membership, fundraising, and event planning experience
- MS Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint) and/or Google Suite
- Experience with Mailchimp preferred
- English language proficiency in both spoken and written form
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is frequently exposed to the following:
- Noise, such as groups of people working in enclosed areas
- Typical office environment
The Oakland Museum of California is dedicated to diversity, inclusion, accessibility and equity. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ability/disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We highly encourage our diverse community to apply for available employment, internship, fellowship and volunteer positions at the Museum, as we aim to ensure our staff reflects the diversity of our visitors and surrounding community.