About Tacoma Historical Society
Tacoma Historical Society is a volunteer-supported 501(c)3 charitable, nonprofit corporation dedicated to the preservation, promotion and presentation of Tacoma’s history, connecting generations with the many stories of our city’s past. For more details about our organization and current activities, please visit our website: www.tacomahistory.org
The Museum Manager oversees the day-to-day operation of the Tacoma Historical Society (THS) museum and retail space at 919 Pacific Avenue. As the initial point of contact for the museum, the Museum Manager is responsible to create a welcoming and educational experience for a diverse range of visitors. Additionally, the Museum Manager provides staff support for meetings, events and exhibits. This is a part-time position (20 hours per week). Duties include:
- Opening and closing the museum, greeting visitors, responding to phone and e-mail inquiries, and record-keeping associated with museum operations.
- Recruiting and managing volunteers, developing relationships that build membership and future collaborations.
- Attending and providing support for monthly membership meetings, exhibit opening receptions, and other special THS events, such as the Historic Homes of Tacoma Tour, Destiny Dinner, Trivia Nights, and Memorial Day and Veterans Day events.
- Managing and ordering inventory for the retail store, with dual goals of raising funds to support THS activities, and developing inventory that encourages engagement with the museum.
- Reports to the Director, and also provides monthly activity reports to the THS Board.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work creatively and effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Communication skills that foster confidence and trust, and convey enthusiasm for Tacoma’s history and the mission of Tacoma Historical Society.
- Ability to work independently and as a team member.
- Ability to organize, analyze, prioritize, and problem-solve within a fast-paced environment with frequent interruptions.
- Ability to manage multiple projects to successful completion.
- Reliable, responsive, and detail-oriented.
- Interest in, and general knowledge of, Tacoma history.
- Demonstrated experience in customer service or retail environments.
- Supervisory experience and previous museum experience preferred.
- Proficient computer skills, including basic database, word processing, and social media skills. Previous experience with PastPerfect preferred.
- Ability to appropriately work with confidential information.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds and assist with installation of exhibits.
- The Museum Manager shall be compensated at the rate of $14/hour for 20 hours per week, on a schedule to be approved by the Director. Priorities for scheduling are insuring coverage of the museum’s open hours, which are Wednesday-Saturday, 11am-4pm, as well as coverage of special events.
- This position accrues sick leave in compliance with the City of Tacoma’s Paid Leave Ordinance, providing up to 24 hours of paid leave annually. Employees may begin use of paid leave 180 days after the start of employment.
- This part-time position does not pay benefits except as specifically described. Benefits that are excluded include vacation and health plan benefits.
Submit required documents via e-mail to email@example.com by Friday, April 13, 2018.
- Letter of interest, describing your qualifications and reasons for your interest in working with Tacoma Historical Society.
- List of three professional references, including their contact information and relationship to you.