Job Title: Project Cultural Resources Manager Date: October, 2018
Reports to: Sr. Cultural Resources Manager/Registrar Employment Status: Full-Time/Non-exempt
Hourly Rate: $20.45
Description: Plaza Project Cultural Resources Manager
The San Diego Museum of Man (SDMoM) is offering a 12-month, full time Project Cultural Resources Manager position to assist the Cultural Resources Department with a short-term inventory, stabilization, and partial off-site storage move of cultural resources. The project will begin no later than November, 2018 and wrap up no later than December, 2019 when early portions of construction Phase II of the Plaza de Panama project is underway.
This position reports to the Sr. Cultural Resources Manager/Registrar and is expected to work collaboratively with individuals throughout SDMoM.
Responsibilities: Under the guidance of the Senior Cultural Resources Manager and Registrar, for 12 consecutive months the Project Cultural Resources Manager will perform duties that include:
- Planning, implementing, and setting procedures for movement and stabilization for the in-place and off-site storage of cultural resource objects throughout the Museum’s various storage areas.
- Monitoring supply needs and budget.
- Assist Project Registrar in management of object movement and tracking. Including:
- Efficient use of CollectionSpace CMS to track shelf and building locations of objects.
- Transport logistics for off-site storage movement.
- Assist Project Registrar, as time allows, perform basic review and clean-up of catalog records in the CollectionSpace database and physical files. Including:
- Take quality photographs as needed.
- Updating production information.
- Linking catalog records with acquisition records.
- Co-management of department interns and volunteers.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Undergraduate degree in Museum Studies, Anthropology, History or related field with at least 2-3 years’ experience in a museum collection and/or registration office. Graduate degree preferred.
- Experience with inventory control and movement to/from off-site storage facility.
- Experience in object re-housing and quality storage mount making.
- Demonstrated understanding of best practices in cultural resources management (a.k.a collections management) principles.
- Experience with collections database management including familiarity with managing digital assets and knowledge of metadata standards.
- Strong writing, interpersonal and communication skills including the ability to work effectively with staff and individuals outside the department.
- Exceptional organization skills with the ability to multi-task set priorities, and meet deadlines.
- Proficient software skills including Microsoft Office Suite and CMS database Willingness to work on a team the embrace shifts in priorities on a regular basis.
- Desire to understand and incorporate the tenants of decolonization in all aspects of project work.
Working & Physical Conditions:
- Generally work from 9am -5pm, Monday-Friday an average of 40 hours per week though hours are flexible and can be arranged to fit individuals’ schedules as needed. Some early morning and weekend work may be required.
- Typical physical demands include sitting at desks, walking, and standing, using ladders, climbing stairs, and lifting and carrying up to 40 lbs without assistance.
How to Apply:
The San Diego Museum of Man is an equal opportunity employer and a drug free workplace. Please send a cover letter, resume, and three professional references to Recruiting@museumofman.org with “Project Cultural Resources Manager” and your first initial and last name in the subject line. Principals only. No phone calls please.