Have something to say to the museum community? We'd be delighted to put your ideas, opinions, and experiences on the Western Museums Association (WMA) blog. Here's how it works:
What is WMA looking for?
First, if you're not familiar with WMA and what we do, take a look at our mission statement here. Some of the topics we'd like to see covered are fundraising, leadership, education, exhibitions, advocacy, technology, emerging trends, and your experiences in the work place. Want examples? Click here to see a list of some of our favorite posts. You are welcome to try something outside of those topic categories too. If you have an idea you'd like to run by us before putting in all the effort of writing a blog post, we're happy to discuss it. Lastly, it is best to keep your post to 500-900 words.
Are ready to submit your post?
Please make sure you include the following:
- Blog posts should be submitted as an attached Word document.
- Include the author name(s) and respective institution(s).
- Links to other sites are highly recommended. Please embed them within the Word Doc. and make sure all links are currently live.
- Please include all images and/or figures as attachments. You may also arrange them in the Word Doc. as you would like them to appear in the post.
- Include a short biography (3-4 sentences) that can be included at the end of the post.
- If the post is time sensitive (eg., there is a deadline, exhibition opening, call to action, etc.), please let us know in your email. We will do our absolute best to accommodate.
Send all blog submissions or questions to Hillary Ryan, Communications and Programs Strategist at email@example.com. When submitting, please include ‘Blog Post’ in the subject line of your email.
What is the review process?
Once you submit your blog, you will receive a confirmation that your post has been received. One of our staff or Communications Committee member will then get back to you with suggestions for expanding, trimming, or editing your post if necessary. You will of course have final approval. We'll make every attempt to respond within 1 week, but please remember that we are a small organization – if there's a delay, know that it isn't personal.
Your post goes live!
We'll send you a link to your post in a congratulatory email. Your post will also be featured on the WMA Facebook and Twitter pages. Please feel free to tell everyone you know about your piece, and post links to it all over the web!
Sample Blog Posts
- Book Review:
- Community Programming:
- Exhibit Review:
- Institutional Call to Action:
- Organizational Meeting Recap:
- Professional Development – Experiences and Announcements:
- Local & Program Perspectives
- Local Perspectives: Drawing Lab Makes a Mark at the Utah Museum of Fine Arts
- Program Perspectives: New and Old, Silver and Gold
- Program Perspectives: Welcome to Salt Lake City
- Program Perspectives: WMA 2012 - Gearing Up for New Audiences: Preparing Your Site, Staff, and Volunteers for K-2 Field Trips
- Visitor Experiences Reviews: