The Western Museums Association (WMA) extends a warm welcome to all of our new Board Members and Officers! Comprised of some of the West's most dynamic and innovative leaders working in museums and cultural institutions, the Board helps guide WMA's mission to “transform the museum field through collaboration.” Together we will continue to make positive changes in museums.
The WMA Policy & Impact Committee is pleased to announce the appointment of our Officers and 12 new Board Members, including the selection of Dana Whitelaw as the new WMA Board President. Dana Whitelaw has accepted the position and will be following, Anne Rowe, who now becomes our Immediate Past President. Officer terms are 2 years (2020-2022) and board terms are 3 years (2020-2023).
Every year the Western Museum Associate accepts self-nominations to serve on the Board of Directors. The Policy & Impact Committee reviews all nominations, determines the number of new board members and skill sets needed based on departing Board members and strategic initiatives, and proposes a slate to the full WMA Board for vote and appointment. Thank you very much to all those who submitted self-nominations; your willingness to be on the WMA Board shows your personal commitment to the Western Museums Association and the community we serve.
Please join us in celebrating the new WMA Officers and Board members. These wonderful museum-industry and community leaders will continue to guide WMA in serving museums, museum professionals, and related institutions.
WMA Officers (term 2020-2022)
- President: Dana Whitelaw, President, High Desert Museum
- Immediate Past President: Anne Rowe, Director of Collections & Exhibitions, Sunnylands Center & Gardens
- Secretary: Michael Fiegenschuh, Principal, EDX Exhibits
- Treasurer: Rosanna Sharpe, Executive Director, REACH Interpretive Center
- VP Communications & Marketing: Sonja Lunde, Deputy Director, Utah Museum of Fine Arts
- VP Membership & Community Development: W. James Burns, Executive Director, Arizona Historical Society
- VP Programs & Innovation: Lorie Millward, Vice President of Design & Programming, Thanksgiving Point
WMA Board Members (term 2020-2023)
- Barron Oda, Cochair, American Bar Association Museums & the Arts Law Committee
- Bart Shively, Chief Strategy Officer, MATT Construction
- Brandie Macdonald, Director of Decolonizing Initiatives, Museum of Us
- Chloe Doucette, Senior Director of Programs & Engagement, Museum of Idaho
- Edward Tepporn, Executive Director, Angel Island Immigration Station Foundation
- Hally Swift, Director of Finance & Operations, Burke Museum
- Jennifer Fang, Director of Education, Japanese American Museum of Oregon
- Koven Smith, Principal, Koven J. Smith Consulting
- Kristen Mihalko, Director of Operations, Balboa Park Cultural Partnership
- Matt Mattice, Executive Director, King Kamehameha V Judiciary History Center
- Molly Wilmoth, Lead Program Manager, Washington State Historical Society
- Rebecca Horta, Arts Manager, City of Los Angeles, Department of Cultural Affairs, Public Art Division
Congratulations to the new WMA Officers and Board Members!