Title: Director of Finance & Administration
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
Location: Portland, OR
Salary: $80,000-$90,000 per year (based on experience). Non-Exempt
ABOUT PITTOCK MANSION:
Pittock Mansion is a 1914 historic house museum, owned by the City of Portland Parks and Recreation and operated by the Pittock Mansion Society. The premises include the mansion, the Gate Lodge and the Garage with beautiful gardens adjacent to the Pittock Vista Point. The mission of the organization is to inspire understanding and stewardship of Portland history through Pittock Mansion, its collections, and programs. With an annual operating budget of nearly $2 million and having grown to well over 100,000 annual visitors in recent years, Pittock Mansion is one of the top tourist destinations in Portland. The organization is at an exciting juncture of growth, reimagination and evolution.
ABOUT THE ROLE:
The director of finance and administration is responsible for finance and accounting, including budgeting and forecasting, investment management, e-commerce, and financial reporting; human resources; and cross-cutting administration, including IT, vendor relations, contracts and agreements and systems improvement.
The director supervises an Accounting /Administrative Specialist.
The new leader will report to the Chief Executive Officer and, as a member of the leadership team, have a unique opportunity to be a strategic thought-partner working collaboratively with the other colleagues such as the directors of the departments of Development & Membership, Facilities and Operations, Interpretation & Community Engagement and Communications, Marketing & Events.
The ideal candidate will have a proven record of success in managing accounting, finance, human resources and other operations in a not-for-profit organization. They will be a collaborative, detail oriented and nimble manager, a critical thinker and problem solver.
A summary of the essential duties and responsibilities includes:
- Participate as a member of the senior staff team and provide regular communication and information to the Chief Executive Officer and senior team related to the financial position of the organization.
- Establish and implement policies and procedures for all financial management functions.
- Manage cash flow; and oversee investment and endowment accounts.
- Serve as organizational liaison and maintain relationships with bank, credit card and merchant providers.
- Supervise the Accounting & Administrative Specialist who handles day-to-day accounting.
- Manage all accounting operations and responsibilities.
- Manage payroll and employee reimbursements
Budgeting & Reporting:
- Analyze and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner.
- Maintain systems to provide critical financial and operational information to the Chief Executive Officer and senior staff and as requested to the Finance Committee, and Board of Directors.
- Ensure successful completion of annual audits (when required), Form 990 and other IRS filings, and all other mandated financial reports.
- Serve as the liaison to the Finance Committee with the Chief Executive Officer.
- Lead annual budgeting and planning process, in coordination with Chief Executive Officer and senior staff.
- Track and report on grant and contract expenses and related details, as required.
- Work with the Development team to provide budgets, financial statements, and other information in support of PMS’ fundraising goals.
- Responsible for the overall administration, coordination, and evaluation of the human resources function.
- Work with Chief Executive Officer and senior staff to develop, recommend, and implement personnel policies and procedures.
- Ensure diversity, equity, access, and inclusion (DEAI) inform and guide the recruitment and retention efforts of the organization.
- Ensure volunteer hours including for board and committee members are recorded and reported annually.
- Manage employee benefits administration.
- Develop and maintain a business calendar that includes all relevant deadlines, timelines and checklists for action.
- Accountable for the effectiveness of administrative procedures and systems.
- Analyze current systems, vendor performance against current and future needs of the organization to develop improvements and changes.
- Oversee staff and outside consultant responsible for IT.
- Oversee risk management of the organization and maintain and review all insurance policies, leases and other contracts.
- Contribute to the development of Pittock Mansion’s strategic goals and objectives as well as the overall management of the organization.
- Lead special projects as assigned by the Chief Executive Officer
- Adapt to changing responsibilities or procedures as deemed appropriate by the Chief Executive Officer to evolve the Finance/HR/Administration department as the organization grows.
Qualification and Education Requirements:
- A bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance. CPA preferred.
- A minimum of five years financial/accounting supervisory experience, preferably in a non-profit organization(s).
- Proficiency in accounting software, i.e., QuickBooks.
- Two to four years’ experience in Human Resource policies and procedures, including benefits administration and employee relations management.
- Exceptional analytical and organizational skills in an evolving environment.
- Demonstrated success managing and motivating staff, fostering a positive work environment, and modeling best practices.
- Demonstrate a teamwork approach to understanding interdepartmental connectedness and foster a collaborative work environment with colleagues.
- Consistent ability to take ideas from vision to implementation.
- Be open to new ways of doing things and adopting and adapting to iterative processes.
The full job description can be viewed here: https://pittockmansion.org/careers/directoroffinance/
To Apply: Please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Director of Finance & Administration” in the subject line.
Application Deadline: August 31, 2022
Qualified candidate must complete background check prior to hiring.
Pittock Mansion Society is committed to a work environment in which all individuals are treated with dignity and respect. Each individual has the right to work in a professional atmosphere that promotes equal employment opportunities and prohibits discrimination practices.