Pay Rate - $36,000.00 - $45,000.00 DOE
Full-Time - Medical, Dental, Life, LTD, PTO, 9 company Holiday's, 401K after 1 year of work.
As a Livestock Manager, this position manages our working farm that is visited by millions of guests annually. We believe in the universal importance and impact of the future of farming, and act on that belief by ensuring our Living Farm has meaningful interactions and educative experiences. It has inspired multiple generations to become part of the solution as more informed consumers, advocates, and even backyard farmers themselves! These shared learning opportunities allow people to connect with one another and the natural world, and cultivate the curiosity, awareness, and creativity necessary to feed and clothe the world.
- Monitoring animal health, environmental conditions, and cleanliness of habitats
- Working with the Director of Agriculture to identify and address potential issues related to animal care, husbandry, and permit conditions;
- Following animal handling protocols and systems for front and back of house, and staying current with new developments within the industry;
- Managing the Livestock Team animal keepers and volunteers including providing training;
- Liaising with veterinary and other specialists to schedule and coordinate animal care;
- Planning and implementing breeding programs and identifying and preparing animals for sale;
- Managing waste disposal (manure management);
- Keeping records on the movements of animals in and out of the farm;
- Working collaboratively as part of Thanksgiving Point’s Joint Management Team to ensure that the high standards set by the Institute are met and to identify issues, provide support, and problem solve - communicating daily with Guest Services, Design and Programming Departments, Facilities, and other team members involved in running Farm Country;
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Agriculture.
- Strong verbal communication and collaboration skills
- Good leadership and management skills including ability to train and support other team members and volunteers.
- Comfortable interacting with guests of all ages and facilitating inquiry-based discovery.
- Ability to work unsupervised and in support of Thanksgiving Point’s mission to bring the natural world to life.
- Ability to perform essential duties which may include lifting up to 50 pounds, standing for long periods of time, bending and reaching, and working in year-round weather conditions.
- College degree in agriculture, animal science, or a strongly related field; or a combination of demonstrable understanding livestock husbandry and equivalent experience.
- Proficiency in the use of a personal computer and standard business software, including Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
Come be a part of this great cause!