High Desert Museum – Organization Description
The High Desert Museum is a non-profit organization focused on the biotic and cultural elements of the High Desert region of the Western United States. Located near Bend, Oregon, on the edge of the beautiful Deschutes National Forest, the Museum melds the natural history of diverse habitat types with human history of the environment into a unique blend of indoor and outdoor exhibits, living history and both living and historical collections.
Job Summary – Grant Writer
This position is an integral member of the development team and will offer critical support to achieve the aggressive fundraising goals of the organization. The Grant Writer will be responsible for researching and writing grant proposals, reports and other donor materials.
The successful candidate will demonstrate a commitment to excellence, innovation, integrity and teamwork. Other critical areas of evaluation will include:
- Bachelor's degree or higher
- Three years’ experience intensive writing and project management experience preferred
- Computer fluency and strong analytic and operating abilities with databases
- Experience working in deadline-driven environments
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, and written and oral communication skills with an attention to detail as well as the big picture. Ability to work independently and as part of a team, establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with fellow employees, volunteers and the general public
Responsibilities and Tasks
- Work closely with all Museum departments to understand Museum programs and visitor experiences and to provide up-to-date and engaging content for donors and foundations
- Develop and write grant proposals and reports for foundations and governmental agencies
- Collaborate with various departments, such as programs, finance and communications, to gather necessary information for grant proposals and reports
- Write and manage foundation correspondence, including thank you letters
- Research foundations, corporations and governmental agencies to identify new funding opportunities
- Support the Program Development Manager with program evaluation
- Maintain current records in database and in paper files, including grant tracking and reporting
- Support the Director of Development and Assistant Director of Development with fundraising by writing content as needed, including membership renewal/acknowledgement letters, invitations, quarterly Desert Sage Society newsletters, HDM Happenings, annual appeals, donor reports, new program materials, etc.
- Participate as an active member of the Development Team and coordinate appropriately with each budget sector represented in the Museum's contributed and earned revenue goals
- Conduct other duties as assigned