Registrar, Kramlich Collection
An experienced, highly organized Registrar is required to support the needs of an internationally recognized, private art collection with offices in San Francisco and the Napa Valley.
The candidate must have a BA or higher, and at least three years relevant experience in registration or collections management, preferably working with time-based media art. Superior organizational skills, the ability to carefully manage projects and meet deadlines, and a thorough working knowledge of registration, fine art shipping and logistics are required. Functional knowledge of, and experience working with time-based art is highly beneficial.
- Provide critical support to the daily activities of an active private art collection office
- Work closely with the Collection’s Technology & Exhibitions Manager, Media Conservator, Chief Financial Officer, and other Collection or Executive staff
- Maintain and ensure that regular updates are performed in the collection’s custom inventory management database with respect to acquisitions, loans, storage, and exhibitions
- Prepare and maintain acquisition agreements, obtain necessary information about artworks as required, and confirm accuracy of all collected information, working with artists, artists’ studios, estates, foundations, museums, and galleries as needed
- Serve as liaison with external institutions to manage loan requests, procure and oversee necessary documentation, and obtain valid certificates of insurance issued to institutions consigning artworks
- Maintain cloud-based filing system for artist files, acquisition and loan agreements, certificates of authenticity, condition reports, conservation status, and all related correspondence pertaining to any of the above
- Draft, update and maintain appraisal requests
- Work closely with galleries, artists, artist studios, art handlers and Collection team to coordinate proper packing, storage and movement of artworks
- Coordinate domestic and international shipments
- Maintain and update physical inventory of all artworks, on-site in San Francisco and Napa Valley, and in various storage facilities
- Assist Media Conservator with all incoming and outgoing condition reporting and assist with conservation projects as needed
- Perform all duties in accordance with the Collection’s established best practices, procedures and protocols
Minimum of 3 years experience working within contemporary art environment, preferably art museum, gallery, or private art collection. Ability to work effectively under pressure and in self-motivated and dynamic way to meet deadlines. Strong computer and software skills essential. Must be fully functional in Mac environment with working knowledge of Apple Pages and Numbers, Office 365, and Microsoft Word and Excel. Strong knowledge of audiovisual technology and capacity to learn new database management system highly beneficial.
Application / Salary
Send cover letter, resume and three professional references to: email@example.com
Salary is commensurate with experience, with a starting range between $66,000 - $78,000. Benefits include: health insurance, contributions to dental/optical, paid company holidays, personal vacation, and sick days (exact amounts TBD), and the opportunity for matching 401K contributions.
Full-time position based primarily in Oakville, California with flexibility to work in San Francisco office and off-site, as needed.
About The Collection
The Kramlich Collection is a private collection of film, video and media art and recognized as one of the foremost and pioneering international collections in the field. Comprising artworks from the 1960s to the present from over twenty countries, the Collection is recognized for its curatorial scope, excellence, and close relationships with museums.