The Mission of MIM:
The Musical Instrument Museum (MIM) enriches our world by collecting, preserving, and making accessible an astonishing variety of musical instruments and performance videos from every country in the world. MIM offers guests a welcoming and fun experience, incomparable interactive technology, dynamic programming, and exceptional musical performances. MIM fosters appreciation of the world’s diverse cultures by showing how we innovate, adapt, and learn from each other to create music—the language of the soul.
With an eye toward award-winning landscaping, maintain the MIM grounds, plantings, shrubs, walks, drives and parking lots in accordance with natural, sustainable desert landscape standards of care, to provide a memorable and enjoyable guest experience. Works with Landscape Supervisor on professional work in the field of ornamental horticulture. The Horticulturist will be able to work independently or as part of a crew to maintain Museum landscaping and grounds in an attractive, healthy, and safe manner. The Horticulturist is responsible for the cultivation of herbaceous, woody, and succulent ornamentals; maintenance of the landscape’s hardscaping, irrigation, lighting, and water features; use of integrated pest management practices; and operating and maintaining manual and power equipment. The fundamental reason this position exists is to perform professional landscape maintenance work.
MAJOR JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Plant propagation, installation, establishment, care, and removal.
- Properly manage environmental factors for plant health.
- Prune and train herbaceous, woody, and succulent plants.
- Practice IPM for pest control.
- Remove litter and plant debris across campus grounds.
- Amend, repair, and maintain operation of commercial PVC drip irrigation system.
- Monitors and improves landscape grading, rock mulching, and soil health.
- Clean filters, remove objects, scrub surfaces, skim water, test and adjust chemicals, and vacuum debris of three prominent water features.
- Respond to after-hours weather-related emergencies (i.e., storm and flood cleanup).
- Operate hand and powered equipment (including blowers, brooms, chainsaws, dollies, drills, grabbers, hoes, ladders, loppers, mattocks, rakes, saws, secateurs, shovels, sprayers, trowels, utility vehicles, vacuums, weeders, and more) to perform, including but not limited to: pruning, exterior lighting and irrigation repairs, painting curbs, sidewalk repairs, fountain cleaning, and removing stains and debris from sidewalks, drives, and lots.
- Perform preventative maintenance on equipment so that it is always mechanically ready.
- This position may oversee the work of contractors, interns, and other team members.
- Perform other related duties and responsibilities as required or assigned.
- Associates degree in Horticulture, Agriculture, Botany, or equivalent degree, or experience/knowledge, or combination of experience with a technical certificate (i.e., ISA Certified Arborist, Certified Irrigation Technician, etc.).
- 3 years’ experience in high profile landscape maintenance desired.
- Knowledge of science-based techniques, industry best standards, and sustainable practices in horticulture.
- Knowledge and skill in use of landscape and irrigation equipment (i.e., PVC, valves, and drip irrigation).
- Knowledge and experience with local plant palette is highly desirable.
- Ability to safely operate and maintain hand and power equipment.
- Ability to work independently and demonstrate self-initiative.
- Must communicate effectively with the MIM team and respond appropriately to guest inquiries, therefore, English proficiency is preferred.
- Ability to carry out oral and written instructions.
- Ability to perform heavy physical labor such as lifting 50lbs. independently and 100lbs with a teammate, use of picks, breaker bars, stake drivers, ladders, and occasionally use of jack hammer.
- Ability to bend, stoop, crawl and walk over uneven surfaces and work in extreme weather conditions.
- Ability and willingness to work with plants that have prickles, spines, and thorns.
- Possession of a valid driver’s license.
- Ability to pass pre-employment background check, drug test, DMV check.
MIM has excellent benefits, attractive compensation, productive teamwork, and a fun culture.
Here is the link to Apply Now