The Burke Museum’s collections and exhibits connect the past, present, and future through topics such as the natural world, the people and cultures of Washington State and cutting-edge science. They give us a way to trace history, provide a spark for stories and ideas, and connect people to each other and to their environment. Until now, they were hidden behind walls; inaccessible to the very people they are intended to serve.
Opening in 2019, the New Burke’s visitor experience centers on removing the barriers that have traditionally separated the public side of the museum (the exhibits) from its working side (the collections storerooms, labs, and other workspaces). Along with 6 brand new galleries to experience, every visit to the New Burke is different because every day brings new work, encouraging our visitors to become repeat visitors and members.
Along with this re-imagining of the museum, the Membership team has developed an improved membership model based on feedback from members, industry best practices, and lessons learned throughout the planning and testing of the New Burke experience. To better align the membership program with the rest of the visitor-facing programs, the Burke created a Visitor Experience team that includes membership, visitor services, public programs, and the store within the department of Interpretation and Visitor Experience.
The Burke Museum is seeking a strategically-minded, process-oriented person to manage the new membership program and lead acquisitions efforts leading up to the New Burke Grand Opening in October 2019. The Membership Manager will work across the museum with the public programs, visitor services, communications and development teams to implement an annual membership program that encourages visitors to further their engagement with the Burke and progress from a one-time ticket buyer or social media fan to a member, donor, or volunteer. This involves managing a robust on-site sales program and other communications strategies to attract new members, as well as providing meaningful and unique opportunities for existing members to connect with the Burke.
Reporting to the Assistant Director of Visitor Experience, the Membership Manager is responsible for
program development, data management and integrity, annual budgeting and planning, ensuring progress toward target KPIs, successful event execution and logistical coordination across departments, conducting ongoing evaluation, and proactively proposing ideas to maximize program profitability while supporting the Burke’s mission. The Membership program is also supported by a full-time Membership Coordinator and hourly support.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Manage membership program and achieve annual goals with an emphasis on acquisition, retention, and generation of revenue.
- Monitor program to ensure appropriate membership pricing structure and benefits. Create and implement program evaluation tools to monitor program effectiveness.
- Develop annual membership acquisition and re-join campaign plan to achieve 6% conversion rate that incorporates in-person and digital strategies.
- Deliver regular membership sales workshops and incentive programs for frontline staff in the Visitor Services department.
- Develop and implement annual renewal mail and digital campaigns to achieve renewal rates of 20% for first time members and 70% of returning members.
- In collaboration with Development team, develop strategies to encourage greater levels of giving from members.
- Work with the Communications team to implement campaigns and create marketing materials as needed. Using the Burke Membership “voice,” write copy for membership communications including appeals, promotions, and event invitations.
- Represent Burke Membership at community events and participate in monthly membership manger meetings.
Management & Training:
- Supervise Membership Coordinator and hourly staff to ensure prompt delivery of member benefits, successful event execution, and other logistical coordination in support of membership program.
- Perform all HR responsibilities related to Membership Coordinator and hourly staff positions including recruitment/hiring, orientation/training, employee relations and evaluation, exit/separation, personnel records, etc.
- Establish program operating policies and procedures, monitor for efficiency, and work with Membership Coordinator to modify as necessary.
- Embody the Burke’s Customer Service philosophy, empower the Membership team (through training and policy) to handle customer service issues appropriately, and be available to engage with members when needed.
Data Management and Reporting:
- Supervise staff performing data entry, gift processing, and benefit fulfillment. Reconcile deposits against gift records to ensure accurate accounting and gift recognition.
- Monitor, report, and interpret membership sales and attendance on a daily, weekly, monthly and quarterly basis, and communicate to appropriate staff.
- Serve as database expert, and pursue process improvement initiatives when necessary.
Budgeting and Planning:
- Create annual membership budget and work plan, including detailed event budgets and data driven sales projections.
- Design and use dashboards and reports in Salesforce to monitor progress toward departmental KPIs and proactively find creative solutions if benchmarks are not being met. Work with ADVE to create additional reports or tracking mechanisms as needed.
- Share membership updates in meetings and other communications as appropriate.
- Develop and implement annual member event strategy. This includes creating a suite of member-specific events such as the annual Behind-the-Scenes Night and exhibit previews as well as collaborating with other program managers to create members-only opportunities at public offerings like Dino Weekend.
- Serve as program lead and point of contact for all member events, beginning with the Member Preview Day as part of the Burke’s Grand Opening Weekend in fall 2019.
- Provide clearly outlined program needs requests to Visitor Services Manager, Event Rentals Manager, and Volunteer Manager to assist them in staffing and amenities planning, space reservations, and rental coordination for all member events.
- Create and maintain member program planning documents (program brief, staff & volunteer schedule, long-term planning and day-of timelines, post-event debrief, night-of communications with input from event planning team)
- Represent Membership in all event planning meetings; proactively and effectively coordinate all cross-departmental communications and logistics in support of member programs
- Coordinate efforts with Development team to create stewardship opportunities for high-level donors at member events.
- Bachelor’s degree in non-profit administration, museum studies, communications, social studies, or other related field OR equivalent experience
- People-oriented, customer-service minded, proactive, problem solver
- Highly organized with strong attention to detail
- Excellent communication skills, in person, over the phone and via email
- Skilled at managing multiple projects with complex logistics and competing deadlines
- Experience working with databases and generating reports
- Two to three years of experience working with membership sales and marketing or fundraising.
- The ability to guide, teach and mentor staff members in the conceptual aspects of membership programs. Comfort and affinity for a fast-paced, solutions-oriented environment.
- Ability to work proactively and independently to achieve agreed-upon goals.
- Experience in training and supervising staff or volunteers.
- Applicants with diverse perspectives and cultural backgrounds are especially encouraged to apply
Conditions of Employment
- Able to work occasional weekends and evening hours.
- Able to work regularly in an open environment with both visual and audible distractions.
- Wear required credentials at all times and work attire/uniforms and name tags as required by position
To Apply: Visit UW Hires and reference requisition #166550