The J. Paul Getty Museum seeks to inspire curiosity about, and enjoyment and understanding of, the visual arts by collecting, conserving, exhibiting, and interpreting works of art of outstanding quality and historical importance and is one of four programs of the J. Paul Getty Trust. The Museum operates two sites, the Getty Villa in Malibu, which exhibits its collection of Greek and Roman antiquities, and the Getty Center in Brentwood, which displays its collections of European art: Medieval and Renaissance illuminated manuscripts, paintings, sculpture, decorative arts, drawings to 1900, and photography to the present day (including non-European works). The Museum mounts approximately 25 temporary exhibitions a year across its two sites; maintains an annual permanent gallery improvement program and offers wide-ranging and ambitious programming for its visitors.
The J. Paul Getty Museum has two openings for a Preparator II position within the Preparations department, one position located at the Getty Center and the other position located at the Getty Villa. Under moderate supervision, installs and maintains permanent galleries, special exhibition and temporary exhibition spaces, and art storage areas. Uses appropriate materials, equipment, and methods to display, store, pack and transport works of art. Plans and executes the fabrication, installation, disassembly and storage of works of art, associated materials and furniture for permanent and special exhibition galleries.
• Works on assignments of moderate complexity.
• Maintains the appearance of the galleries, including cleaning and dusting showcases, frames and pedestals.
• Collaborates on the movement, packing and crating of works of art.
• Cleans artwork and adjacent areas in all of the museums galleries.
• Performs moderately complex carpentry and painting tasks.
• Collaborates across departments and ensures the safe and controlled installation and deinstallation of works of art.
• Collaborates on the fabrication and installation of works of art and supporting materials.
• Collaborates across departments to pack, crate, receive, deliver, and install works of art.
• May develop, install, maintain and operate gallery and showcase lighting, including computer-controlled skylight and shade systems.
• High School/GED
• 2-3 years related experience