Museum Vision and Mission:
MOHAI is treasured locally and respected nationally as a vibrant resource where history inspires us to build a better future. To serve our region, we bridge the past, present, and future by collecting, preserving, and sharing stories through compelling, innovative exhibits and community engagement.
Position: Visitor Services & Sales Associate
Reports to: Director of Visitor Services
Location: MOHAI, at Lake Union Park’s historic Armory building
Classification: Non-Exempt; Part-time; Hourly
Schedule: Regularly scheduled 15-25 hours per week. Must be available for 8-hour shifts and flexible hours, including weekdays and weekends
Rate of Pay: $19 – $25 per hour
Benefits: Paid Sick and Safe Time in accordance with the City of Seattle ordinance
Visitor Services & Sales Associates are responsible for greeting visitors with exceptional customer service, courtesy, and professionalism and serving the public through friendly and accurate sales of admissions, memberships, and retail merchandise. Associates also serve where needed in galleries and museum common areas, helping to ensure a pleasant, positive visitor experience. They are a primary source of access and communication within MOHAI. This position is a member of the Finance and Operations department and is supervised daily by the Visitor Services Manager and Mercantile Manager.
- Work at the admissions desk, in the museum store, exhibit galleries, and where needed in the museum.
- Handle phone calls, respond to questions, and receive museum visitors and other guests.
- Perform cashier duties for admissions, membership sales, and retail merchandise.
- For bilingual staff, opportunities to use Spanish, Vietnamese, Arabic, Amharic, Mandarin, and other languages with museum guests.
- Ensure that all interactions are culturally responsive, respectful, and based on a foundation of MOHAI’s commitment to inclusion, diversity, equity, and accessibility.
- Contribute to outstanding customer service by maintaining friendly and courteous interactions with members, visitors, and staff.
- Assist with introducing groups of students/adults to the museum and support security officers in monitoring visitor behavior in the galleries.
- Assist with tracking of MOHAI assets by properly receiving, storing, and organizing store inventory.
- Keep work areas, admissions desk, museum store and assigned exhibit galleries organized and tidy for visitor safety and enjoyment.
- Collaborate with Visitor Services leadership regarding overall customer care and operational support.
- Gather demographic information about visitors by collecting zip codes, surveys, etc.
- Attendance at museum-sponsored events may be required.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Previous cashiering experience in customer service, retail, concierge, hospitality, or equivalent field.
- Bilingual and multilingual candidates preferred.
- Work effectively in a high-volume, high-energy environment.
- Must work well with members, visitors, and staff, be dependable, punctual, friendly, and authoritative, with the ability to communicate comfortably and clearly in written and oral formats.
- Able to monitor galleries, maintain security standards, and remain calm under pressure.
- Enjoy sharing information, managing data, and organizing merchandise.
- Attention to detail, with accurate data entry skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite, including Outlook and Teams.
- Flexible schedule: must be available days, evenings, and weekends.
- Possess or willing to acquire CPR (including child and infant) and first aid certification.
- Enthusiasm for MOHAI’s exhibits, programs, and mission.
Find yourself checking many of these boxes but doubting whether you should apply? If you meet some of the requirements and you share MOHAI's values and support our mission, we encourage you to apply. As part of our ongoing commitment to a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace, we’re invested in building teams with a wide variety of backgrounds, identities, and experiences.
For 70 years, MOHAI has been dedicated to enriching lives by preserving, sharing, and teaching the diverse history of Seattle, the Puget Sound region, and the nation. With a collection of nearly 4 million artifacts, photographs, oral histories and archival items, and an expansive schedule of exhibits and programs, MOHAI is the region’s premier history center. MOHAI operates a dramatic and award-winning museum in Seattle’s vibrant South Lake Union neighborhood and a resource center in Seattle’s Georgetown neighborhood. MOHAI also hosts the Bezos Center for Innovation, focusing on the history and future of innovation in the Puget Sound region. MOHAI is accredited by the American Alliance of Museums, is an affiliate of the Smithsonian Institution, and has been selected by USA Today as one of the Top Ten History Museums in the nation. For more information, please visit www.mohai.org.
Please email letter of interest, resume, and three references to Human.Resources@mohai.org
No phone calls, please.
MOHAI is a 501(c)(3) organization and an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to building a team and an organizational culture that fosters inclusion, diversity, equity, and accessibility. We encourage candidates of color to apply.