Part or Full time Collections Specialist
Title: Collections Specialist
Status: Non-Exempt / Hourly
Hours: 20-40 hrs per week
Hourly rate: $18-22/hr
Start date: Open immediately
Duration: 1 year
Reports To: Collections Manager
About The Archives of Falconry
The Archives of Falconry (TAF) was initially conceived, developed, and supported by several visionary leaders and falconers within The Peregrine Fund. Since its founding in 1986, TAF has grown into a world-renowned repository of falconry heritage. The mission of The Archives is to collect, preserve, and interpret global falconry history, art, literature, and material culture.
The Archives of Falconry (TAF) is seeking a hard-working, self-directed individual with a passion for collections and preserving cultural heritage. The successful candidate will be part of an exciting project to bring a large collection of books, art, audio, video and material culture to a publicly accessible online platform. The position may be part-time with a minimum of 20 hrs/wk, or full time, with a possibility funding will be available to extend duration.
The successful candidate will:
- Handle and preserve collection material using best practices.
- Catalog items using a web-based catalog management software (Past Perfect).
- Organize, compile, and quality check collection records (including metadata).
- Digitize collection materials using audio and visual scanning equipment.
- Manage and organize digital assets according to established procedures.
- Catalog and organize archival documents.
- Assist in rotating TAF collection objects on display.
Skills and Qualifications
- High school diploma or G.E.D.
- Working toward a four-year degree in a related field such as history, anthropology, library and information science, museum studies, etc.
- Highly organized with strong attention to detail.
- Proficiency in the use of standard office equipment.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, and Google Workspace.
- Ability to lift up to 40lbs at a time.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field or currently enrolled in a related bachelor degree program.
- Six (6) months experience with working in a museum, archive, library, or related institution.
- Experience with collection management software such as Past Perfect.
- Ability to execute collections activities and projects without daily supervision.
- Proficiency using MacOS, image editing software, and scanning equipment.
Time Commitment and Working Conditions:
Minimum of 20 hours per week.
Work will be carried out indoors at various work stations. Due to our focus on digitization, work will largely be done on computers (Windows and MacOS). All necessary equipment and any museum software-related training will be provided on-site at TAF. The singular tasks themselves can last anywhere from a few hours to a few weeks and may contain repetitive processes requiring methodical attention to detail.
To apply: submit resume / CV, cover letter and 3 references with contact details to Patrick Brown, Collections Manager at email@example.com