Museum Store Manager (part time)
San Jose Museum of Quilts & Textiles
Oversees museum store operations. Responsible for working to achieve store sales objectives as defined in the Annual Budget, tracking and analyzing sales results, ordering merchandise/product development, inventory management, merchandise display, merchandise promotion, training volunteers, and pricing policy.
Position is responsible for ensuring the following tasks are completed:
Acquire and display merchandise
- Meet and communicate with vendors, reps and artists and/or attend trade shows to find/review new merchandise
- Create attractive sales displays that change on a regular basis to keep the store fresh to repeat visitors
- Stock merchandise appropriate for exhibitions and feature in store during run of exhibition
- Maintain display fixtures
- Clean and maintain store space and lighting
- Receive, unpack, inventory and price all merchandise
- Change out aged inventory via clearance sales and returning unsold works to consignment artist
- Authorize payment of invoices
Develop and maintain consignment program
- Find suitable art works from a variety of sources
- Develop and execute contracts with each consignment artist
- Create reports and authorize payments to vendors on a monthly basis
- Maintain reports/records
Achieve store sales objectives and track and analyze sales results
- Create regular sales reports to be presented at staff meetings.
- Analyze sales reports to determine what types of items sell best
- Create mix of inventory to optimize sales
- Track sales both in terms of absolute sales amounts and in terms of average sales/Museum visitor.
- Create and implement strategies to continually improve average sales/Museum visitor
- Create and implement regular sales promotions to encourage sales
Conduct annual physical inventory at close of fiscal year (June 30)
- Value inventory: wholesale and retail
- Work with auditor
- Maintain records/reports
- Produce annual inventory reports for audit
Participate with other staff in
- Budgeting and setting fund development goals for the Museum shop
- Promoting the Store and specific sales promotions on the website and in email blasts and other Museum communications
- Selecting merchandise that relates to current exhibitions and the Museum collection
- Respond to all store correspondence in a timely fashion.
- Perform other duties as assigned
- May require weekend work; some flexibility in weekly schedule
Skills and Abilities
- Possess a working familiarity with electronic cash registers, computers, computerized inventory systems, manual credit card machines, automated credit card and check approval machines, and telephone answering systems.
- Mathematical skills and aptitude are required in order to facilitate accurate record keeping and daily sales reports.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Ability to follow procedures and instructions.
- Ability to work quickly and courteously with customers, co-workers, and volunteers.
- Must be able to lift and/or move up to 30 pounds
Education: High School Diploma, Bachelor’s degree preferred; or an equivalent combination of education and experience
Work experience: Previous experience in retail required. Minimum of one year as sales associate or relevant experience in sales or customer service industry.
Rate of pay: Depends on experience. This is a part time position (20 hours per week)
Benefits: Six paid holidays and two weeks vacation per year, prorated at the part time rate
Send resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Application deadline March 20, 2019.