TAM Art Educator
Summary of Position
The Art Museum of Eastern Idaho (TAM) seeks an innovative Art Educator to teach museum classes, programs and services for adults, teens, children and families. The Instructor will assist in the creation of authentic and project-based lessons and workshops inspired by TAM’s rotating exhibits and permanent collection. Working closely with the Education Director, the Instructor will inspire students to build their art skills and connect with TAM.
TAM’s mission is to educate, inspire and empower the lives of individuals of all ages and abilities in our community. The Art Instructor will be encouraged to champion experimental and innovative thinking and develop fresh approaches to art education and community outreach.
The Art Educator will perform the following essential duties both onsite at TAM and offsite at partner locations:
Guiding ARTours, teaching weekly classes, quarterly Family Days, and regional outreach visits to classrooms in the surrounding school districts.
- Present studio classes and workshops by creating and facilitating lessons based upon themes or topics that are inspired by the museum’s permanent collection, exhibitions, and are responsive to student interests.
- Participates in self-reflection, training, and evaluation processes as scheduled.
- Perform related duties preliminary and/or following studio workshops, including but not limited to setting up/cleaning up classroom, submitting lesson plans and supply lists for workshops.
- As a public non-profit organization, the museum requires every staff member to act as a visitor advocate at all times. This includes acknowledging visitors and striving to make them feel welcome, comfortable, and eager to return.
- Ensure that TAM represents best practices in preservation, education, interpretation, management, and JEDAI (justice, equity, diversity, accessibility and inclusion).
- Keep current on best practices in the museum and museum teaching fields including Visual Thinking Strategies (VTS) methodology.
Qualifications, Skills, and Abilities
- A high school diploma or equivalent is required; BA in Education, Art Education, Studio Art or related field preferred. 1-3 years’ experience teaching, preferably in a museum/gallery setting or community art programs.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills. Able to work well and collaborate effectively with a wide range of audiences including staff, volunteers, educators, funders, sponsors, members, general public, and other constituencies.
- Demonstrated commitment to values of diversity, inclusion, and learner-centered interpretation strategies.
- Able to work effectively in a team setting within the department and collaborate across the organization.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and Google Suite.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, and responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Physical Job Requirements
While performing this job, the employee will be required to sit, stand, and lift up to 30 pounds occasionally, work closely with a computer monitor, and perform repetitive hand movements.
Position requires stamina to facilitate for periods of time. Prepare for workshops and events, moving equipment and supplies as appropriate. May occasionally be exposed to outdoor weather conditions. Employee must be able to communicate verbally.
PAY & BENEFITS
This is a part-time, contract position. Evening and weekend work may be required.
Compensation rate $30 per teaching hour.
Contracts for this position are issued annually.
Application deadline: Review of applications will be ongoing until the position is filled.
Applicants must submit all of the following:
• Letter of interest that describes qualifications and background
• Names and contact information of three professional references
Send the required paperwork to:
The Art Museum of Eastern Idaho
Attn: TAM Museum Educator Search Committee
300 South Capital Avenue
Idaho Falls, ID 83402