BENTON COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY
TITLE: Curator of Education
SUPERVISOR: Executive Director
EMPLOYMENT STATUS: Full time salaried, exempt
The Curator of Education develops and implements programs that engage a wide variety of audiences at both Benton County Historical Society (BCHS) museums. This position works closely with the Curator of Exhibitions and the Collections Manager to coordinate programs with exhibitions and collections.
It is an exciting time to join BCHS. Not only did we open a new museum in 2021, we recently completed a new strategic plan and wrote a new mission statement. Having a new museum in Corvallis as well as our longtime museum in Philomath has dramatically changed how we can serve the community of Benton County. We’re looking for a Curator of Education with vision and excitement to help us shape the future of the Benton County Historical Society.
- Develops and implements activities and programs, including tours, workshops, and lecture series for a variety of audiences
- Recruits, trains, and supervises docents and interns to help implement programs
- Writes or assists in writing grant proposals and grant reporting to support education programs
- Compiles necessary reports detailing department activities
- Gives input to the Executive Director for budget for education programs, and manages education expenses and income
- Develops and maintains collaborative relationships and partnerships with local and regional non-profits, schools, community organizations, and museums
- Coordinates the production of education program materials including training manuals and curriculum materials and manages the use of the education collection of artifacts
- Provides staff support and training regarding educational programming
- Works with the Curator of Exhibitions to create educational and interactive components for select exhibits, as well as related programming
- Support the mission, vision, and values of the Benton County Historical Society
- Contribute to and support the strategic plan, annual action plans, and institutional initiatives
- Assists with management of front desk staffing/functions at the Corvallis Museum
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Education interns
Required Knowledge & Skills
- Multi-lingual, especially in Spanish, preferred
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Comfortable with public speaking and representing the BCHS in a public forum
- Strong organizational and project management skills and attention to detail
- Knowledge of the theories and history of museum education
- Knowledge of educational theory and practice
- Ability to create age-appropriate learning experiences in history, art, and culture
- Ability to supervise and inspire docents
- Ability to work collaboratively or independently
Education, Formal & Informal Experience
- B.A. in art, education or a related field with a minimum of three years museum experience or equivalent education and experience
- M.A. in Museum Studies preferred
- Exempt/full time
- Schedule is 40 hours per week with some Saturdays likely
- Occasional evening hours
- May be on call list for alarm company
- Possession of a valid Oregon Driver’s License required
- Ability to lift up to 40 pounds
- Continual computer use
- Frequent sitting/standing/walking
- This is not a comprehensive list of physical activity required for this position
Established Guidelines for Position
AAM Museum Code of Ethics, BCHS Employee Handbook
The Benton County Historical Society (BCHS) was formed in 1951 to preserve and share the history of Benton County. In the 1970s, a group of local citizens saved the Philomath College Building and restored it for our use. We began operating our Philomath Museum in that building in 1980 and have continued to this day.
This acquisition of the collection of Oregon State Museum’s Horner Museum in the mid-2000s necessitated construction of the Johnson Collections Center, a 13,000 square foot state-of-the-art collection storage facility located behind the Philomath Museum. We now have over 126,000 items in our collection, and are actively collecting.
Delayed by the pandemic, we opened the long-awaited Corvallis Museum in February 2021. Designed by Allied Works Architecture (Clyfford Still Museum, Museum of Art & Design NY), it was conceived to be a departure from the traditional history museum.
BCHS is committed to equal opportunity in employment, meaning that employment decisions (including but not limited to hiring, promotion, compensation, and discipline) are made without regard to gender, (including pregnancy-related conditions) race, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, mental or physical disability, age (within statutory limits), marital status, retaliation, association with a protected class, or any other status protected by law. Employment decisions are made on the basis of individual qualifications, merit, and other legitimate business considerations. This commitment ensures that persons with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations to participate in the application, interview, and hiring process. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, perform essential job functions, and/or receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact Jessica Hougen, Executive Director, at email@example.com or 541.929.6230.
- Budgeted compensation is $50,400
- Healthcare package includes medical, dental, and vision
- Retirement program with matching company contributions
- Paid time off: 10 holidays and 2 floating holidays, vacation, sick, adjustment, and bereavement leave
- Gift shop discount
To apply email your application to Jessica Hougen, Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Complete applications should include a resume, cover letter, and three references. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
For full consideration applications should be submitted by 5pm on February 7th, 2024.