Atthowe Fine Art Services is excited to hire a Framing Manager to support Atthowe Frameworks.
Title: Framing Manager
Department: Atthowe Frameworks
Reports to: CEO
Hours per week: 32-40 hours (flexible/hourly)
Salary Range: $37-44/hour depending on experience
Effective date: ASAP. An interim position for 6 months that could lead to a permanent position.
In business since 1928, Atthowe is now a worker-owned company exclusively dedicated to the handling of fine art. We provide temperature and humidity-controlled art storage solutions, air and ground transportation support as well as crating, mounting and installation services. Our company has changed and grown over time, but always with the same focus of providing outstanding, quality service in a friendly and caring environment. We pride ourselves on our decades of outstanding service and our art-loving, hard-working, dedicated team. We cherish our long history, but we also value our forward thinking, innovative practices.
Atthowe Fine Art Services is an equal opportunity employer. We do not and shall not discriminate based on race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of our activities or operations. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, our clients, and our community.
About the position:
Atthowe Frameworks seeks an experienced art framing manager. We are looking for an entrepreneurial individual who is equally comfortable client-facing, working with a team, and working independently. This person will be the main point of contact, working with clients to custom design frames and work independently to fit and mount artworks. You will work closely with the shop’s woodworker to see that frames are built to spec and maintain the shop and all inventories, and you will track interdepartmental and client communications and record keeping. This job has the potential for growth and becoming a full-time permanent employee after 6 months.
The successful candidate must possess three years of archival, fine art framing experience, with solid experience as a frame fitter and designer plus a year of experience being the lead client contact. They have demonstrated an understanding of various material types and framing techniques. Must have experience handling objects of varying media, size, and value. Understand and abide by archival framing procedures and practices in art storage, handling, framing, mounting, and hinging. Equally important is an awareness of how to prevent damage to delicate surfaces while handling, packing, and transporting artwork.
- Manage the day-to-day operations of the frame shop and a small team
- Work with clients to help select and design custom contemporary frame, mounting, and matting options to fit their needs
- Understand and abide by archival framing procedures and practices in art storage, handling, framing, mounting, and hinging
- Perform hands-on lifting, manipulation and mounting of artworks and museum objects as needed for their framing, display, installation, and transport.
- Abide by professional art handling protocols and standards
- Determine pricing structure for framing, materials, and labor in line with the company’s financial needs, developing the pricing model and tracking profitability
- Communicate clearly with woodworker and other company departments to coordinate orders, deliveries, and pickups
- Understand and legibly complete paperwork with high attention to detail, understand and prioritize the importance of information transfer between company departments, especially in regards to gathering and documenting useful and accurate registration information
- Design framing with clients in person and via email
- Write up accurate and clear work orders for all frame jobs for shop woodworker to complete and build frames
- Determine timelines for completion of work and communicate to clients and staff
- Cut materials for jobs, always considering efficiency and archival needs of materials – includes plex, window mats, backings, etc.
- Maintain inventory, monitor and order supply stock
- Clean shop – vacuum, dust, take out trash and recycling on scheduled basis and as-needed
- Lift and carry artwork and museum objects properly, alone and in coordination with co-workers
- Verify and complete and organize paperwork, obtaining required signatures and maintain client history
- Use company paperwork to record materials used and time spent on jobs for accurate invoicing
- Uncrate and/or unpack objects using company protocols
- Soft-pack and/or crate-pack objects using company standards
Core Accountabilities for all employees:
- Safety: Never act in a way that would endanger you, a co-worker, or any other person
- Safety and protection of all artwork and objects in our custody
- Communication and cooperation with co-workers, clients, and others in a professional and timely manner
- Knowledge of and adherence to company standards and policies
- Protect all confidential information, including client information, job details, images, and privileged company information
- Regularly required to walk, stand, sit, bend, lift, and use hands
- Some computer work required
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds unassisted
- Regularly stand for long periods of time
- At least 3 years of fine art, archival framing experience
- Expert experience as a frame fitter
- At least 1 year of experience as a client contact
- Experience developing pricing structures and tracking profitability
- Fluent in PCs for basic communications and information tracking and filing
- Possess knowledge of art conservation and the use of archival materials in framing and hinging
- Experience handling objects of varying media, size and value - safely and efficiently
- Possess a valid California driver’s license and a clean driving record at the time of, and for the duration of employment
- Complete and pass STA (Security Threat Assessment) application and verification
- Able to perform physical demands as stated in job description
- Able to work as part of a team and contribute to cooperative problem solving
- Able to follow detailed instructions and strict protocols
- Able to work flexible schedule as needed
You are a great fit for this role if:
You love art!
- Art is our business. You appreciate fine art and have an open mind regarding, and a curiosity about, the great wondrous world of modern art.
You are a great communicator.
- You enjoy communicating and coordinating with co-workers and developing and maintaining great relationships with clients.
You are attentive to the details of your craft.
- You shepherd a creative project with thoughtful awareness of the needs of the client, the efficiency of the process, the coordination with colleagues, and the quality of the final product.
In addition to working with a friendly, art loving team, Atthowe also provides the following benefits:
- 100% coverage of health insurance premiums through Kaiser (includes vision)
- Dental and additional vision coverage through Principal
- 17.5 days of PTO for full time employees (increases with seniority)
- 12 holidays
- 401K with 3% match
- Cell phone reimbursement of $60/month
- Eligibility to become a worker owner after two years of employment
- Employee bonuses
How to Apply:
- Send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Place the job title of “Framing Manager” in the subject line of your email application.
- Applications due ASAP