Programs & Partnerships Manager
Filoli is a 654-acre historic site of the National Trust for Historic Preservation, located on the San Francisco Bay Peninsula near Woodside, CA, and one of the finest remaining country estates of the early 20th century. As a team member here, you will be able to connect rich history with a vibrant future through beauty, nature and shared stories. You have the opportunity to preserve, build upon and share the wonder of this place.
In our daily interaction with guests, we envision a time when all people honor nature, value unique experiences and appreciate beauty in everyday life. You will also actively play a part in creating a vibrant future through our 2019-2023 Strategic Plan. Embedding the core principles of Diversity & Inclusivity, Sustainability and Organizational Excellence into each pillar of the plan, we are focusing on five main pillars of our organization: People & Culture, Fundraising & Financial Strength, Infrastructure Investments, Visibility & Branding and Engagement & Education. We welcome and appreciate your contributions to Filoli.
The Programs & Partnerships Manager will primarily focus on overseeing public programs, ticketed events, youth programs, and community partnerships. In line with the Strategic Plan, Diversity, Equity, Accessibility, and Inclusion Action(DEAI) Plan, and Interpretive Plan, this position supports the goal of engaging the public, providing high-quality visitor experiences, and fostering partnerships. With these programs, the Manager should strive to stimulate public interest, encourage participation, promote repeat visitation, and welcome diverse audiences.
This is a full-time, exempt position (40 hours per week,flexibly scheduled) with regular weekly evenings and/or weekends. Depending on candidate experience, the annual salary range for this position is $82,000 to $87,000. The schedule may change to meet the needs of the organization. This position is eligible for employee benefits: medical, dental, vision, life, LTD, Flex Plan, 401(k), vacation, sick leave and holiday pay.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- In coordination with the Director, responsible for internal management and operational integration of public programs, ticketed events, youth programs, and Filoli’s community partnerships;
- Serve as an active leader on the Interpretive Committee and DEAI Committee;
- Coordinate with peer departments especially in the area of operations, partner management, and event and program planning;
- In coordination with Development, participate in the fundraising process, including direct solicitation, project proposals, and reporting;
- Participate in weekly Operations meeting and regular management meetings;
- Regularly serve as onsite department manager for public programs and as a frontline Manager on Duty;
- Supervise the coordination of internal and external resources for all public programs including festival weekends, Summer Nights, concerts, Art Walk, Flora Parties, Service Learning, and citizen science activities;
- Build relationships with vendors and monitor vendor activity for any vendors contracted for work in programs;
- Draft vendor contracts and maintain liability and insurance forms;
- Actively engage in internal systems for requesting and tracking resources and event needs (calendaring, bar staff, set-up, break-down, AV, janitorial, etc.);
- Coordinate with Visitor Services to develop attendance goals and report attendance as needed;
- Develop a Return on Investment (ROI) assessment for public programs to determine Filoli’s return and the sustainability of public programs;
- Align public program development with Filoli’s DEAI Action Plan and Strategic Plan;
- Work with Interpretation Manager to formally evaluate programs, align them with Filoli’s interpretive themes, and integrate interpretation content into public programs;
- Supervise implementation of preschool and teen programs;
- Regularly assess and revise preschool program curriculum;
- Develop training program to ensure consistent delivery of program activities;
- Develop activities for teen program through collaborations with external partners and consultants;
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with community members, diverse artists, and cultural institutions to amplify their work;
- Develop best practices for collaborations with Filoli’s community partners;
- Create contracts and MOU templates;
- Set-up reciprocal evaluation tools;
- Track partner activities in Altru;
- Collaborate with Membership and Visitor Services to ensure Community Plus Members have information and access;
- Collaborate with other Filoli departments who manage partners;
- Coordinate Filoli’s Internship program and collaborate with Human Resources to align program with Filoli’s strategic goals and build a cohesive program across many departments;
Personnel and Budget
- Determine staff assignments, schedules, and coverage needs;
- Directly manage Programs Coordinator, Learning & Experience Assistant, and Floral Workshop Instructor, including hiring, scheduling, time tracking and management, training; evaluating and all coordination with Human Resources;
- In coordination with Director and Chief Experience Officer, responsible for youth programs, public programs, and ticketed events budget oversight including general staffing budgets and use of program staff; responsible for tracking and coding and reconciling with accounting;
- Work with Filoli’s Marketing team to prepare signage and printed and digital programs for public programs;
- Coordinate with Marketing to develop promotion plans to meet goals for programs and write copy for Filoli website and publications;
- Use Altru database and Social Good to capture program details and post on website;
- Fulfill expectations as listed in Filoli Expectations for Directors, Managers, and Supervisors (see attached);
- Provide excellent customer service and promote a positive visitor experience;
- Represent the highest standards in support of Filoli's policies, procedures, guidelines and standards;
- Maintain flexibility and perform other duties as assigned to respond to the needs of the organization;
Attendance and punctuality are essential to work and all work-related functions.
This position directly supervises the Programs Coordinator, Learning & Experiences Assistant, Floral Workshop Instructor, as well as frontline staff when acting as Frontline Manager on Duty.
An individual must be able to perform each essential duty listed above and any additional responsibilities as directed as well as satisfy the educational and skill requirements listed below:
Education and/or Experience:
Education: Bachelor’s in Art History, Public History, Museum Studies, or related discipline required; graduate of a Master’s program is highly preferred.
- PROGRAMS AND EVENTS EXPERIENCE – 3-5 years minimum experience organizing, managing, and evaluating programs and events for nonprofits. Hands-on experience in vendor coordination. Strong administrative skills. Ability to multitask, see many sides to complex issues, and perform at high standards with a collegial team.
- PEOPLE AND PROJECT SKILLS – Effective team leadership skills and cross-functional collaborative capacity. Ability to either take direction or work independently as the situation requires.
- LEADERSHIP – At least 2 years of direct supervisory experience. Flexible, energetic, and outcomes-oriented self-starter who brings a creative approach to solving problems. Capacity to interact effectively and build partnerships with Filoli’s many constituencies including staff, Board members, community partners and supporters, donors, members, visitors, and volunteers. Strong administrative skills. Ability to multitask, see many sides to complex issues, and perform at high standards with a collegial team.
- CULTURAL COMPETENCIES – Model a responsibility to self-awareness and awareness of others to recognize that individuals bring unique backgrounds, beliefs, values, and world-views. View racial and cultural differences as assets to the organization.
- DIVERSITY, EQUITY, AND INCLUSION – Committed to Filoli’s dedication to integrate accountability across all efforts to support and sustain a racially equitable organization. Demonstrate a passion of advancing organizational DEAI objectives and influencing others to approach all work with an equity lens. Promote processes and communication that encourage organizational cultural competence and inclusion.
- COMMUNICATION SKILLS – Exceptional oral and written communication skills including the demonstrated ability to research and analyze information and present historic information in a clear and inspiring manner.
- DECISIVE NATURE – Well-honed ability to independently anticipate and analyze situations, define problems and objectives, recognize viable alternatives and formulate rapid solutions with understanding of the inherent risks and the implications of decisions.
- COMPUTER SKILLS – High proficiency in a PC, Windows environment and Microsoft Office products as well as Google Applications. Ability to manage complex database functions including Altru.
- AVAILABILITY – Maintain a flexible work schedule that includes evenings and weekends to meet the demands of executive management.
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to provide the highest quality service to all customers in every interaction;
- Maintain a positive, calm demeanor and professional manner with visitors at all times;
- Demonstrate strong organizational, communication and interpersonal skills;
- Be responsive to a large number of visitors’ diverse needs while focusing on high priority tasks;
- Demonstrate a strong customer service orientation;
- Work diplomatically with a diverse group of staff;
- Ability to remain calm and demonstrate flexibility to meet changing needs and expectations;
- Read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedural manuals.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
A valid Driver’s License is required.
The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job including:
- Essential functions include walking and standing for the majority of the day, walking across uneven terrain, climbing stairs, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, reaching, handling and fingering as well as sitting for long periods of time at a computer;
- Strength sufficient to exert force up to 50 lbs. occasionally and/or up to 25 lbs. frequently, and/or up to 10 lbs. constantly to lift, carry, push and pull or otherwise move objects.
HOW TO APPLY
- Candidates with the above prerequisites are invited to submit their resumes along with a cover letter outlining their related experience and background to: https://filoli.applicantstack.com/x/openings
- Possession of minimum requirements does not guarantee an interview.
- Please, no phone calls.
- Thank you for your interest in Filoli!
Please visit our website for more information: www.filoli.org
Filoli is an equal opportunity employer who values diversity in the workplace.