The Musical Instrument Museum (MIM) enriches our world by collecting, preserving, and making accessible an astonishing variety of musical instruments and performance videos from every country in the world. MIM offers guests a welcoming and fun experience, incomparable interactive technology, dynamic programming, and exceptional musical performances. MIM fosters appreciation of the world’s diverse cultures by showing how we innovate, adapt, and learn from each other to create music—the language of the soul.
“The goal of the Musical Instrument Museum is to illuminate what is unique about cultures, and also what is shared and universal. MIM provides an experience like none other, allowing musical novices and experts, tourists and scholars, children and grandparents to hear, see, and feel the powerful and uniting force of music in an entirely new way.”
-Robert J. Ulrich, MIM Founder
MIM is the top attraction in Arizona, a one-of-a-kind immersive experience and industry leader using specialized technology to elevate the guest experience. In addition to its galleries, MIM has an acoustically superb theater, concert series, museum store, and award-winning cafe.
The Museum Experience
Displays are enhanced by state-of-the-art audio and video technologies that allow guests to see the instruments, hear their sounds, and observe them being played in their original cultural contexts—performances that are often as spectacular as the instruments themselves. What’s more, all guests are invited to play instruments from around the world in the Experience Gallery. They can also see instruments from musical icons such as Stevie Ray Vaughn, Maroon 5, Johnny Cash, Celia Cruz, The Flecktones, Elvis Presley®, Carlos Santana, and many more in the Artist Gallery.
Guests are introduced to MIM through an Orientation Gallery on the 1st floor, which showcases the artistry, diversity, and movement of musical instruments across continents and cultures. On the second floor, guests venture into different regions of the world to discover the complete orchestra of a Chinese opera, a jazz ensemble, and a mariachi band, among others. To view a map of the building, click here.
Wireless “hot spots” around MIM provide loops of streamed music, immersing guests in the global sounds of musical instruments. Guests are given headsets and state-of-art guidePort technology to wear throughout the museum. As they approach each exhibit, they will hear music and see the instruments being played on high-resolution flat screens. The guidePort system is user-friendly for guests of all ages.
The Executive Assistant is an integral hub, providing support and performing a variety of administrative duties for the Executive Director, the Founder (when in town), MIM’s Board and Advisory Board, the museum, and other departments as business needs arise. The person in this role will serve as a confidential assistant to the Executive Director and must demonstrate considerable judgment, tact, creativity, and initiative. Establishes and maintains excellent working relationships with internal team and external guests, vendors, and donor community..
This is a unique opportunity for an administrative professional to join a world-class organization and exceptionally talented team that is advancing the mission of MIM for future generations.
- Answers Executive Director’s calls, screens, and manages requests in a confidential and professional manner. Exercises discretion committing time and evaluating needs. Receives and interacts with donors, visitors, and guests to the museum.
- Manages and prioritizes incoming mail for Executive Director and handles distribution of reports and other outgoing correspondence.
- Manages calendars for Executive Director and Founder (when in town), including arranging and coordinating meetings and events, plans, and executes conference calls, coordinates breakfasts, lunches, and receptions as needed.
- Prepares and edits correspondence, communications, presentations, and other documents for the Executive Director, including maintaining an efficient file system both digitally and manually.
- Coordinates scheduling, agenda, and notes for leadership meetings and other meetings as needed.
- Coordinates travel arrangements, itineraries and expense reports for the Executive Director and consultants. Conducts back of house tours for key guests, as needed.
- Work with and support Institutional Advancement department as needed—Founders event, COF Concert Previews, COF Social, Producer’s Circle events, etc.
- Assist in planning events when needed
MIM Board & Advisory Board
- Manages MIM board calendar, develops agenda, coordinates collection and preparation of material for board books, records, transcribes, distributes minutes, and tracks action items for MIM Board meetings and maintains corporate board records.
- Updates Board & Advisory Training manual and coordinates annual Board dinner.
- Manages the administrative office, including coordinating office and kitchen supply purchases, donated item inventory, equipment purchases and maintenance, printing, and general office operation ensuring cost savings and efficiencies.
- Prepares expense reports, credit card receipt logs, and check requests. Reviews administration invoices for coding and approval. Prepares and tracks the administration annual budget.
- Supports Finance department by pulling checks in CFO’s absence, check signing, and secondary approval for banking wires or other online banking set-ups.
- Manages special projects and performs other tasks as assigned by the Founder or Executive Director.
- Manages and oversees modular furniture purchases and reconfigurations. Directly involved in projects to ensure proper quoting, purchase, and installation of furniture, while providing additional project management support as appropriate.
The Ideal Candidate
- The dynamic nature of this role requires the ideal candidate to have exemplary time management skills and the ability to identify and anticipate the ED’s needs. The role must interact seamlessly and with a professional demeanor across a broad range of individuals including members of the Senior Management Team, Board of Directors, and leaders that report to the ED. To perform this job successfully, the individual is expected to handle highly sensitive and confidential financial, legal, personnel and institutional information while exercising professionalism and utmost discretion.
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum five years of experience in a senior administrative and/or office management role.
- Excellent computer skills in MS Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Excel
- Ability to problem solve, prioritize, multi-task, work independently and thrive in a high-performance culture
- Excellent writing, editing, and proofreading skills
- Experience taking minutes in Board meetings and tracking action items to completion
- Project management and event planning skills
- Demonstrates professionalism, attention to detail, and confidentiality
- Demonstrates flexibility in a complex, rapidly changing environment
- Excellent knowledge of standard office administrative practices and procedures
- Familiarity with the museum industry or an arts and culture organization is a plus
- Positive attitude, resourceful, with a guest-centered focus
- Available for occasional evening and weekend work required as needed
Competitive compensation & benefits package commensurate with requisite skills & qualifications; including medical, dental and vision insurance, short-term and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, generous matching 401(k) plan, time off accruals, and other perks to enjoy.
Qualified candidates should submit a resume and cover letter.
Apply Here: Recruitment (adp.com)