Museum Curator – Collections
Las Cruces Museum System
Salary $49,502.75 - $70,093.92 Annually
Location Las Cruces, NM
Job Type Full-time Regular
Job Number F064 10-23 MD
Department Quality of Life
Opening Date 10/30/2023
Closing Date 11/27/2023 11:59 PM Mountain
The Las Cruces Museum System is made up of four city museums: The Branigan Cultural Center, The Museum of Art, The Museum of Nature and Science, and The Railroad Museum. This position will oversee the daily operation of the Las Cruces Museum System’s collection stored at an offsite warehouse and reports to the head of the collections department. The job description below is the city’s standard description for a Museum Curator position and focuses heavily on programming and exhibition duties that are the responsibility of Education and Exhibition Curators. The Collections Curator will assist with research and collection access for programs and exhibitions, however developing exhibits and implementing programming will not be their primary focus. The Collections Curator will primarily be responsible for cataloging and inventorying collection items, overseeing student assistants working within the collection, managing the Collections Management Software (CMS), creating custom storage for artifacts and ordering archival supplies, and maintaining proper condition reports for incoming and outgoing loans. The museums’ collection contains historic 3D artifacts, natural history specimens, archives and photographs, and artwork. The Collections Curator will need to be knowledgeable of proper storage and handling practices that reflect the variety of the collections and be able to assist with exhibition installations. The Collections Curator will also be an essential part of processing research requests and providing content for the museums’ social media.
Nature of Work
Develops educational programs and exhibits for the City's Museums, and coordinates marketing, advertising, promotions and technical support activities.
Work Situation Factors
Position involves competing demands, performing multiple tasks, working to deadlines, occasional work beyond normal business hours, and responding to customer issues. Regular attendance is an essential function of this job to ensure continuity of services. Position is subject to drug testing in accordance with applicable State and Federal regulations and City of Las Cruces policies.
Light physical demands; may be required to lift and move supplies and equipment. Frequent use of a personal computer.
Work is performed in a standard office environment and museum facilities; some outdoor activities are necessary.
FIRST CONSIDERATION MAY BE GIVEN TO CURRENT CITY OF LAS CRUCES EMPLOYEE WHO MEET THE MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS.
Meeting or exceeding the minimum qualifications does not guarantee an invitation to participate in the process.
Full-time, regular, exempt position
This position is graded at RX15.
Duties and Responsibilities
· Develops, organizes and manages museum programs and exhibitions; develops concept for exhibits and programs and formalizes design; recommends art and artifacts for exhibits and educational programs that complement the themes of gallery exhibitions, including performances.
· Plans and maintains permanent and temporary museum exhibits, exhibit-related displays and presentations; coordinates the presentation of traveling exhibitions; prepares graphics including signs, banners, murals, labels and schematics according to intended audience.
· Researches, identifies, classifies, and writes promotional materials for exhibitions and educational programs including object lists, labels, ad copy for newsletter, gallery guides, and other materials; conducts research in connection with identifying and describing objects in the collections and concepts of the educational programs.
· Plans and organizes loan exhibitions and special programs; meets with artists, educators, community groups, and members of the public to discuss programs and potential exhibitions; conducts lectures, tours and training; answers inquiries from the public; coordinates work of instructors, volunteers, students and part-time employees; prepares correspondence, reports, and budgets.
· Assists in development, implementation and monitoring of marketing and promotional efforts; presents public programs about museum activities; works with staff, Museum Foundations and other organizations in coordinating, promoting and operating fund-raising projects and special events.
· Researches opportunities for cultural programs, activities and special events; coordinates work with other municipal departments and community organizations
· Evaluates existing programs for effectiveness, and recommends new programs or program changes; tracks services provided, monitors results, and generates operational reports as needed.
Bachelor's Degree in humanities, liberal arts, art history, museum studies or related field AND two years museum program management experience OR a combination of education, experience, and training may be applied in accordance with City of Las Cruces policy. Master's degree is desirable.
Valid class D driver’s license is required. Position requires an acceptable driving record in accordance with City of Las Cruces policy. Bilingual skills (English/Spanish) are desirable.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Knowledge of: Principles, practices and standards for design of museum exhibits and educational programs; multi-project management techniques; methods, practices and procedures for collection care, and management of exhibits and educational programs; purpose, use and benefits of museums & cultural program activities; guidelines and practices of the American Association of Museums; policies, rules and regulations governing the conduct and safety of museums, programs and facilities; legal liabilities and responsibilities for museums & cultural program services; principles and practices of public relations, marketing, and communications; business and personal computers, and spreadsheet software applications; City policies and procedures.
Ability to: Assess and prioritize multiple tasks, projects and demands; communicate effectively in verbal and written forms; establish and maintain effective working relations with co-workers and representatives from other local, state and Federal agencies.
Skills in: Developing and managing exhibition and educational programs; researching, selecting, and applying for grants, endowments and exhibits for a wide variety of age and interest groups; developing recommendations for improvements of museum programs and facilities; conducting public presentations; presenting information regarding museum missions and operations to patrons of the museum; using special tools, materials and equipment specific to museums.